PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 Video problems?

TMC
February 22nd, 2011, 05:08 PM
I have a program I'm trying to run under Wine which is segfaulting without a backtrace. The Wine gurus over at the Wine forum have said that this is symptomatic of badly installed video drivers, rather than a fault with Wine, which should produce a backtrace on a segfault.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers, but the program still segfaults, so I've come over here to see if there's any advice I can get on the video drivers before taking it back to the Wine forum.

I have an nVidia card and am using the nVidia-current restricted driver. I have purged the nouveau driver using sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau as instructed in the community documentation; however, an lspci shows that the nouveau kernel module is still there - could this be the problem and if so, how do I fix it?

Output from lspci follows. Many thanks,

David Shaw

00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C67 [GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M] (rev a2)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30ea
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
Region 0: Memory at f5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Region 1: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Region 3: Memory at f4000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidia-current, nvidiafb, nouveau

realzippy
February 22nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
If the nvidia-driver works fine in ubuntu,I
doubt that your wine problem is related to this....

But,if you want to test,add "nouveau" at the bottom of
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

khelben1979
February 22nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
I have a program I'm trying to run under Wine which is segfaulting without a backtrace.

And can you share what program that it is in this thread?

TMC
February 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
OK, so I've purged nouveau from the system and now I've blacklisted it in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf as you suggested and it's *still* listed as a kernel module after a reboot.

I have confirmed that the package really has been purged and that the entry in blacklist.conf is still there.

Oh, and Wine still segfaults on this one application - others work just fine.

TMC
February 22nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
And can you share what program that it is in this thread?

Sorry, should have said.

The program in question is Grand Designs 3D Renovation & Interior; installed in its own prefix with Windows Media Player 10 installed through Winetricks.

realzippy
February 22nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
The Wine gurus over at the Wine forum have said that this is symptomatic of badly installed video drivers, rather than a fault with Wine, which should produce a backtrace on a segfault.

..have a link?

Why did you install the nvidia-driver manually?

TMC
February 22nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
The Wine gurus over at the Wine forum have said that this is symptomatic of badly installed video drivers, rather than a fault with Wine, which should produce a backtrace on a segfault.

..have a link?

The Wine forum topic is at http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=11272

Why did you install the nvidia-driver manually?

I didn't. I did a clean install of 10.04, then went to System > Administration > Hardware drivers and installed the nVidia-173 driver. As a result of this problem and the response I got to it over on the Wine forum, I went back into Hardware drivers and switched to the nVidia-current driver to see if this might clear the problem, which it didn't.