PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacement laptop HDD without Load_Cycle_Count issue.

stchman
February 22nd, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hello all.

My laptop hdd has been giving me problems for a while so I have decided to replace the drive. The current drive is an Hitachi 5K250 250GB drive. I believe it suffers from the Load_Cycle_Count bug.

Newegg seems to have the best prices on 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s drives.

I have been a huge fan of Seagate drives for a long time and have decided on a 500G Momentus drive. It is only $56 shipped.

My question are there any known drives that don't have the Load_Cycle_Count issue? I tried Googling and there seems to be no database of this.

Thanks.

BbUiDgZ
February 22nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
I know what i'd do
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/204304

stchman
February 22nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
An SSD is not really an option right now because SSDs are still too pricey. When they come down in price, yes.

fjgaude
February 22nd, 2011, 07:13 PM
Have you used the Disk Utility that comes with 10.10 and before to see what SMART has to say about the L/UCC, ID=193 on my WD Raptor? Or ID=4 on Seagate or WD?

stchman
February 22nd, 2011, 07:26 PM
The reason I believe it's the HDD is the laptop used to run Ubuntu very well. Now everything acts really flaky.

I did a memtest overnight on the laptop with no errors so I don't think it's the laptop itself. The hdd is hitachi so I ran the Drive Fitness Test with no errors. If I run Ubuntu from a USB drive it runs just fine. It's not until I install the OS that things start to get flaky.

Is there a freeware system diagnostics that will run a battery of tests to see if all facets of the PC run well?

Thanks.

fjgaude
February 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
The only thing I suggest is to run Disk Utility.

fjgaude
February 22nd, 2011, 07:29 PM

stchman
February 22nd, 2011, 07:32 PM

Is the Disk Utility present on the 10.04 installer?

fjgaude
February 22nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
Yes, if my memory is good. It's under System/Administration.