PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't login to gnome

paul555
February 21st, 2011, 11:40 PM
Hi all i have a very big problem. When the last time i logged in gnome my laptop freezed. After that i can't login to gnome and it shows me that my user is currently logged in. I created a new user and he can login ok, Any ideas how to fix it?

Krytarik
February 24th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Although this seems to be an odd question, but nevertheless makes really sense: Did you shutdown/reboot since that happened?

paul555
February 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Yes i shutdown and restart my machine many times. Now i created a new user who can login ok. Now how can i migrate my settings from the older user to the new one?

amsterdamharu
February 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Just a shot in the dark here but I see i've got a file called ~/.bash_logout and according to the texton the top it is "executed by bash(1) when login shell exits."

You could try logging in as the user in a terminal (press control + alt + F1 and log in) then run the following command:

bash ~/.bash_logout

Don't know if that will clean up any stuff that locks you from logging in but it's worth a try.

Krytarik
February 24th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Try to log out your old user in the following way:

- login either with the new user (if you assigned it to the admin group) or via recovery mode/root shell prompt
- check if your old user is indeed still logged in

who- try to kill all processes started by it and log it out

sudo pkill -KILL -u usernameYou don't have to use "sudo" if issuing the command from the root shell prompt.

paul555
February 25th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Krytarik thank you it worked :D

Krytarik
February 25th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Krytarik thank you it worked :D
Great! :)

Then please mark this thread as "solved", via "Thread Tools".