PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Compatible laptop with decent graphics card

Knight of Cydonia
February 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM
Can someone please recommend me a decent laptop with a decent graphics card that's compatible with Linux operating systems without having the GPU becoming a paperweight (Nvidia Optimus)?

I'm in need of a new laptop and would like to have a ubuntu compatible laptop again, unlike my current system and most of the laptops on the market today.

The problem is that I do enjoy PC gaming on a somewhat regular basis (weekends, days off), and for that I need a decent graphics card, and accompagnying processor.

For professional reasons (well, studies), I also need a number of other features:
- Decent resolution, preferably 1600*900 or more
- Numeric keyboard is a must
- Preferably a non-glossy screen as well
- Decent amount of RAM for multitasking (4GB min, more is welcome)

I had my heart set on a Dell Vostro 3700 which seemed perfect for me until... I read of the whole Nvidia Optimus crap that would like my intro said reduce the GPU to a paperweight.

Can somebody please help me out and point out similar/comparable models out there on the EU market? I've searched for hours and can't seem to come up with anything...

My budget would be 1100ish, I'm getting desperate here. :(

Knight of Cydonia
February 21st, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'm going to be as bold to up this for views on the first page, 'cause my time is running out, my current laptop is dying as we speak, and if I have to make a quick decision I may end up with an incompatible laptop again.