PDA

View Full Version : [other] Hybrid cloud

bonzi
February 21st, 2011, 06:49 PM
I have some concerns in hybrid cloud. How do we ensure security while setting up a hybrid cloud. For example if I want to use EC2 or Rackspace then how can I make sure that the connectivity between the private and the public cloud is secure? Do we havr to set up a VPN? If yes do we have to set it up manually?

raymdt
February 21st, 2011, 09:54 PM
hi,
this is a very important topic. Unfortunately there are only few people who are interested in Security on Hybrid cloud.
- You can use a ssh-tunnel to exchange Data between the private-cloud and the public-cloud

- You can(should) use Euca2ools(for Eucalyptus, Openstack and AWS) for interaction between private and public cloud.
Euca2ools uses the M2crypto-library for python, to encrypt the communication.

Yesterday i found a security issue in Euca2ools. Ich will first check it again, befor filling a Bug report.

bonzi
February 21st, 2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the info.
Is there any reason why you prefer ssh-tunnel over openvpn?

Currently I'm trying to find out more info about how Euca2ools is using M2crypto to provide secure connectivity. (Any info will be appreciated :) )

Thanks again

raymdt
February 22nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
Hi,
ssh is easier to use than Openvpn an it is not easy to configure Openvpn on the Cloud(But you can try it). What do you want to do with your hybridcloud? Do you need Openvpn??

Euca2ools use M2crypto to encrypt the image ,(Example when you use euca-bundle-vol and euca-upload-bundle to bundle and upload image to the cloud).

The Eucalyptus' source code is in Python. Also you can read it like a book

kim0
February 23rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hi, while I agree ssh is easier to start with, I would definitely recommend openvpn for anything that resembles production work