PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switch mouse from imps/2 to explorerps/2 in Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 64-bit

dualityim
February 21st, 2011, 07:29 AM
I'm using Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 64-bit inside VMware Workstation on a Windows 7 64-bit host. I have a 5-button mouse with forward and back buttons which do not work inside the VM. Only the three main buttons work. I stumbled upon this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware/Tools which suggests that changing the mouse type from imps/2 to explorerps/2 in xorg.conf might allow the additional buttons to work. The problem is, it seems in Ubuntu 10.10 there is no xorg.conf, everything is configured automatically. Is there a way to specify a xorg.conf setting on a system that doesn't have that file? Or would I need to create a xorg.conf file manually? Thanks.

dualityim
February 21st, 2011, 10:12 AM
I decided to generate an xorg.conf using Xorg -configure and edited the mouse entry to use the ExplorerPS/2 protocol. However after rebooting, the mouse is still listed as ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse when I use the "xinput list" command. It seems the xorg.conf file is not being used and Ubuntu is still using auto detection for X settings. How do I force the system to use my custon xorg.conf file?