View Full Version : Nvidia Driver Upgrade = Frozen Boot Up Screen?

February 21st, 2011, 02:08 AM
Just started using Ubuntu 10.10. Running on Sony Vaio and an external monitor with 4GB Ram, Nvidia Gforce Graphics card. I was running Ubuntu today and the screen on my Laptop, not the monitor would go black and flicker. I thought maybe upgrading the graphics card drivers would fix this. I went to System > Administrative > Drivers and it said that the latest Nvidia drivers were inactive. I installed them. It asked me to reboot, and now I cannot get into Ubuntu. It shows "Ubuntu 10.10" in a normal text font, then the screen freezes. What is happening? I cannot get back on it.

February 21st, 2011, 05:17 AM
Recently installed Ubuntu 10.10, and after an attempted installation of Nvidia drivers, the bootup screen is frozen and I cannot access Login Screen, Ubunutu, anything at all. Please help. I am very frustrated.

February 21st, 2011, 05:58 AM
Running a Sony Vaio VPCF12AFM Laptop. Ubuntu 10.10 installed great, was running fine when all of sudden screen started to flicker and dim. I thought the graphics card drivers might need updating, and I tried that via System > Administrative > Drivers and now I cannot boot up Ubuntu. The screen freezes before I can get to the login. Recovery mode is difficult, and I do not know what I am doing, and the few commands i found from other forums do not work, yielding the message "file could not be parsed or opened." I am very frustrated so if anyone has any ideas please help!

Also running dual boot with Windos 7 64 Bit, Nvidia Gforce grpahics card.

February 21st, 2011, 06:46 AM
Please don't create multiple threads on the same subject, I have merged your three threads.

February 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Recovery mode is difficult

Does this mean that you did get into recovery mode, or that you are trying to get there?

February 21st, 2011, 11:44 AM
This laptop has hybrid graphics,do not know if it is "optimus" or
a sony derivate...anyway,you will not be able to install the
nvidia driver unless you have a switch in your BIOS for the hybrid graphics.
Read this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1657660).

February 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM
I got into Recovery Mode, but whenever I typed in some commands that I had found from some other threads, it would just give me the same message saying "file could not be parsed or opened" and I could not get past the screen

February 21st, 2011, 03:35 PM
OK so i was able to get in a delete the NVidia driver, and now I am getting a flickering black screen (this is what was happening before I installed the driver). SO now what happens?

February 21st, 2011, 05:37 PM
Ok, well now there is some new stuff going on. I let Ubuntu install a bunch of updates, and now I can:

-Get onto Ubuntu
-Use the computer without the screen flickering

The Nvidia Graphics Card is apparently "not in use" and when I try to run nvidia-xconfig it says "command not found." I Cannot seemto fix this issue, and when I install it via System > Administrative > Additional Drivers, it messed up Ubuntu and it freezes before getting to the login. As a result, my resolution cannot be set to its optimal resolution, and the monitors are unknown.

February 21st, 2011, 08:13 PM
Can you post the output from

lspci | grep VGA

February 21st, 2011, 08:28 PM
Here it is:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 310M] (rev a2)

February 22nd, 2011, 03:09 AM
Dig through some more threads and fixed it myself.

March 19th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Hi! could you post the solution. I'm having a similar trouble and the only work around I have got is to disable the nvidia driver. But I hope there is another way to solve the issue.