PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Searching for laptop with high resolution, suspend to ram working and 3D acceleration

deragon
February 20th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I need to replace my HP Compaq nw8240 (Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS does not fulfill my requirements while Hardy Heron 08.04 LTS did). I would like to purchase a used laptop, but after a search through the web, I find it is hard to find a laptop that would fulfill all of my six requirements; there is always a problem with one of them.

Here are my requirements for a laptop:

High screen resolution, i.e. 1680x1050 or higher. Mat screen, not bright.
2D and 3D acceleration (proprietary drivers are fine with me). Probably Intel or Nvidia graphics are best; ATI support is not great from what I read.
Suspend to ram work flawlessly
Sound work flawlessly
Wifi work flawlessly
Fan work flawlessly

If the rest of gadgets do not work right (finger reader, SD card reader, extra volume control buttons, etc..), it does not bother me. Yet it is particularly hard to find a laptop for which my six conditions uphold. If you know of a laptop that upholds these six requirements with Lucid Lynx 10.04, please inform me about the model.

FYI: I have an old HP Compaq nw8240, and when I will upgrade from Ubuntu Hardy Heron 08.04 LTS to Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS, I will loose 3D acceleration (move to open source driver; ATI card not supported anymore by AMD) and "suspend to ram" will work but leaves the screen with pixels that change color as I drag the mouse and move windows (tested with USB key). With 08.04, the nw8240 works very nicely and meets all my requirements.

deragon
September 10th, 2011, 01:55 AM
For prosperity, I want to share which laptop I found. I found the Lenovo T61p to be the computer that fit marvellously what I was looking for.

Think wiki (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki) is a great website discussing issues with Lenovo Thinkpads running Linux. That website sold me to a Lenovo T61p.

2F4U
September 10th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I would go and search for a ThinkPad, preferably from the T series. These laptops are business grade and have a superior build quality. You can get them in different configurations, some have Intel cards and others ATI or NVidia. What really make them stand out of the mass is that you can still get replacement parts such as batteries even if they are several years old.