PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Keyboard Stops working in Gnome, mouse is fine.

hoythamilton
February 20th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Hardware: HP Elitebook 6930p

Symptoms: After working fine for months my keyboard stopped responding. It would allow me to log in, and then stop. Reboots and reconfiguring x didn't help. It still didn't work in Safe Mode. If i went outside X it worked fine. Mouse worked fine.

This had happened before and I finally just reinstalled ubuntu. What led me to the fix this time was noticing that holding a key down caused it to type the character repeatedly.

The Fix: Check System -preferences - Assistive Technologies -Keyboard Accessibility to see if Slow Keys is enabled (Check box). Since i had apparently enabled mine inadvertently with a sequence of keystrokes unknown to me, i also unchecked "accessability features can be toggled with keyboard shortcuts". If you or someone who uses your PC requires this feature, Iwould recommend you look up and remember the key strokes that toggle it on and off.

Hope this saves someone else some of the heartburn i experienced.

malacandra
June 5th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Just had this problem. Google right to your answer. Thanks for figuring this out and posting!

DragonSlay
June 4th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Thank You.

Filipek
November 14th, 2012, 03:42 PM
It is so damn easy and it cause me almost sleepless night... :-(

Thank you VERY much for pointing this out - it helped a lot (absolutely the same happened to me).

:guitar:

BTW., I still have no idea how did I do that :-(