PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I have two problems ..

Atticus92
February 18th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Okay, so i have had Ubuntu for a while, but still do not feel comfortable saying am i experienced at all.

So what i have done is set up a Ubuntu machine in my home, and set it up to share several folders on "/dev/sda1" for all the other machines in the house.

This is the only Linux machine in the network, besides a laptop i plan on using to manage the server remotely. Everyone recommends,
to use a Linux machine as a server.

I am trying to do two things:

1) I need to set up the Ubuntu machine to have remote access to my laptop so that I don't have to have any VGA cables or keyboards/mice connected. I can successfully connect to the machine one i start the vino-server, but i need the vino-server to start when i turn the machine on. I have tried setting the vino-server to start using the "startup applications" but have had no success.

2) I am trying to use two different Hard Drives on the Ubuntu machine. I can mount the drive and all that, and have it to mount on startup by modifying the "/ect/fstab" file. Although I can mount it and all that, when trying to connect to the Hard Drive on my Windows machine, it says the network has denied access to the folder.

I have googled around and haven't found anything that works yet, so I have come here in hopes to talk to some experienced Ubuntu users. :P

jerrrys
February 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM
i know that you have googled around, but have you been here ?

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=vino-server&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en#885