PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer aspire5742Z

Raion
February 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM
just bought this new laptop and was trying for the dual boot for ubuntu and w7 and i couldn't get in i could only get to the command prompt.
so of course doing some research i found there is common and fixed problems with both the wireless card and the intel hd graphics card.
the problem: the explanations on how to fix em are lost to me i have no idea how to instal a new kernel or any of the stuff there doing.
Im trying to get this so i can start going beyond the basic knowledge of computes ect that i know so i can become alot more understanding to but but i got to start some where can anyone get me a simple answer to getting this up n running.

walle1357
February 17th, 2011, 05:22 PM
If you need to install an _updated_ kernel, try running sudo apt-get upgrade. Also maybe google linux command reference for a few things.
Google is your friend.

maqtanim
February 17th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I actually did not understand. Did you or did you not install ubuntu in your laptop? And which release of Ubuntu you are trying?

In general, if you select your boot device to CD/DVD or USB (from where you are trying to install ubuntu), it should start automatically. Did you succeed to run the live CD?

Raion
February 17th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I used wubi that you download off the main site. it downloads successfully and i restart to start ubuntu and it gives me kernel generic 2.6.35 which then loads into command prompt unless i go in in failsafe x
i read that instaling kernel 2.6.37 would help most if not all my problems.
i have no idea how to do this i got 2.6.37 in my w7 downloads folder and relogged to try apt-get install (37's full file name ) never worked i have no clue how to get it up to the linux its self.

Raion
February 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM
bump