PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Why Shell ignore Spaces...?

Linyx
February 17th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Hi Everyone :p

Whenever i want to open a file/Directory in terminal, and if file/Directory name has any space include, it will not open that for me via Terminal.....However, it will show that directory but i can't open that in terminal, if i want to open it(let suppose a text file), it shows me a message "No such file or Directory",

Is their any method so that i can Open File/Directory Having name which Includes Spaces....?
I know i can replace Space by underscore sign,but,if i won't do this, i am not able to open it in terminal...?

And if someone knows please Explain why it is Ignoring OR Not Getting Space Character...!

Thanks,

NightwishFan
February 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM
You have to use (for example):

/home/nightwishfan/file\ with\ space
or

command "/home/nightwishfan/file with space"

Grenage
February 17th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Hi Everyone :p

Whenever i want to open a file/Directory in terminal, and if file/Directory name has any space include, it will not open that for me via Terminal.....However, it will show that directory but i can't open that in terminal, if i want to open it(let suppose a text file), it shows me a message "No such file or Directory",

Is their any method so that i can Open File/Directory Having name which Includes Spaces....?
I know i can replace Space by underscore sign,but,if i won't do this, i am not able to open it in terminal...?

And if someone knows please Explain why it is Ignoring OR Not Getting Space Character...!

Thanks,

You can also save yourself some time by making use of Tab, to auto-complete directory and file names; it will use backslashes where appropriate.

Linyx
February 17th, 2011, 12:30 PM
You have to use (for example):

/home/nightwishfan/file\ with\ space
or

command "/home/nightwishfan/file with space"

For Example a text file name my note.txt is on my desktop, how can i open that via your suggest commands..

sh4d0w808
February 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
In terminal, use quotes around the name of the file/dir if it contains space, or type the first character and press the Tab key to use autocomplete feature.

Exmaples:

12:28:41 sh4d0w@atlantis:~/Downloads$ ls ShmooCon\ 2011_\ USB\ Autorun\ attacks\ against\ Linux.flv
-rw-r--r-- 1 sh4d0w sh4d0w 87405360 2011-02-09 21:00 ShmooCon 2011_ USB Autorun attacks against Linux.flv
12:29:58 sh4d0w@atlantis:~/Downloads$ ls "ShmooCon 2011_ USB Autorun attacks against Linux.flv"
-rw-r--r-- 1 sh4d0w sh4d0w 87405360 2011-02-09 21:00 ShmooCon 2011_ USB Autorun attacks against Linux.flv

You can prevent the next character to interpreting it from shell using \. In this example, I've prevented to interpret the space in the filename.

NightwishFan
February 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM
For Example a text file name my note.txt is on my desktop, how can i open that via your suggest commands..

nano $HOME/Desktop/my\ note.txt
or

nano "$HOME/Desktop/my note.txt"

Also as was said you can use TAB to autocomplete files, or drag and drop the file in the terminal.

Grenage
February 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM

vim /home/username/Desktop/my\ note.txt

Edit: Beaten to it (forum ninja).

Linyx
February 17th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Great....Thanks to all for you nice & Meaningful Solutions,I think tab work faster....;)

Edit:- But why shell Doesn't Identify Space-Character...?

Grenage
February 17th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Edit:- But why shell Doesn't Identify Space-Character...?

Space is there is separate variables and commands - not make file names easier on the eye. While it could be changed, the benefits would be small, and many programs would probably stop working.

Linyx
February 17th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Space is there is separate variables and commands - not make file names easier on the eye. While it could be changed, the benefits would be small, and many programs would probably stop working.

I Think i didn't get that, Isn't space a character...?

Grenage
February 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I Think i didn't get that, Isn't space a character...?

It is, but it's also the main character used to separate commands, amongst other things. It makes life easier if you can predict such things; for example, a program is expecting two variables and a file:

PROGRAM 23 invert my file

PROGRAM 23 invert my_file

With the space, you have four inputs/variables. By encapsulating the file name in quotes, or having no spaces in the name, it makes it a lot easier to handle. A simplistic example (and probably wrong), but this is my understanding as to why it is the way it is.

Linyx
February 17th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Submitted Twice, therefore Removed.

Linyx
February 17th, 2011, 03:35 PM
It is, but it's also the main character used to separate commands, amongst other things. It makes life easier if you can predict such things; for example, a program is expecting two variables and a file:

PROGRAM 23 invert my file

PROGRAM 23 invert my_file

With the space, you have four inputs/variables. By encapsulating the file name in quotes, or having no spaces in the name, it makes it a lot easier to handle. A simplistic example (and probably wrong), but this is my understanding as to why it is the way it is.

I think it don't get that fully, anyway, thanks for that...

Edit:-But in windows i never seen an issue, Maybe i didn't use DOS, thats why,

Grenage
February 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I think it don't get that fully, anyway, thanks for that...

Let's look at this another way. If I want to copy a file, I need to first use the copy command (cp), then list the source and the destination:

cp documenta documentb

If the files had spaces in the names, I might try this:

cp document a document b

The copy program would probably look at that and think, does this guy want document copied and named a, and then document copied and named b?

If I were to use a backslash (document\ a) or quotes ("document a"), the copy program will know exactly what is a file/variable, and what is not. I don't know how Windows works, but I am guessing there must be some sort of check to see if a file exists.

mcduck
February 17th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Edit:-But in windows i never seen an issue, Maybe i didn't use DOS, thats why,
There you just gave the answer to yourself... :)

Windows shell deals with spaces just like Linux & Unix shells do, interpreting them as separators between different commands, parameters etc. and requiring file names with spaces in them to be enclosed with quotation marks. (DOS wasn't able to handle spaces in filenames at all, not that there would have been much use for them with just the 8+3 letters available for file names... :D)

It's pretty much the only sensible way, as using some sort of special character or something to separate each command and parameter from each other would quickly become much more trouble than escaping spaces in filenames is.

Linyx
February 17th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Let's look at this another way. If I want to copy a file, I need to first use the copy command (cp), then list the source and the destination:

cp documenta documentb

If the files had spaces in the names, I might try this:

cp document a document b

The copy program would probably look at that and think, does this guy want document copied and named a, and then document copied and named b?

If I were to use a backslash (document\ a) or quotes ("document a"), the copy program will know exactly what is a file/variable, and what is not. I don't know how Windows works, but I am guessing there must be some sort of check to see if a file exists.

Hmmmmmmmmm...This time I got it completely,thanks very much:p

@mcduck:-

thanks, i got it now...:p

Old_Man_Unix
February 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Linux carry-over ultimately from Unix.

In Unix and all of its shells, whitespace is the separator between command names, options, arguments, etc. That behavior is built into the OS (the kernel, if you will). No getting around it - hence the need for 'escapes' (like \ and ") when you want to use the space character itself (or the Tab character or most any other that is not printable and that is used by the shell).

GNU retained that behavior as they adopted the bash shell and also built their own command set.

Linux is actually GNU/Linux.

Finis.