PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] problem installing on dv6700

nicktheww2fanatic
February 17th, 2011, 09:59 AM
hey there folks, I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 (64 bit) on my wife's old HP Pavilion dv6700. Here are the specs:

AMD Turion X2 TL-60 2.0Ghz
3GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/ nForce 630M

Now, when I try to run ubuntu, whether its installed from USB, DVD or Wubi, it always looks like this:

http://i54.tinypic.com/153pms9.jpg

How do I fix this???

PunkLV
February 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM
1: This happens when you start from LiveCD as well?
2: Did you install nvidia drivers from repositories?
3: Are these Nvidia's drivers?
4: Alt+Ctrl+F1 -> login
sudo service gdm stop
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
sudo service gdm start

nicktheww2fanatic
February 17th, 2011, 01:30 PM
1: This happens when you start from LiveCD as well?
2: Did you install nvidia drivers from repositories?
3: Are these Nvidia's drivers?
4: Alt+Ctrl+F1 -> login
sudo service gdm stop
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
sudo service gdm start

1. Yes
2. No
3. Can't figure out how to get the drivers installed, can't click anywhere...
4. I can't even connect to a network, so will this work?

Hippytaff
February 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM
You should be able to connect via ethernet without any problems. If so you can either boot to your dodgy desktop, press CTRL+F1 and then follow PunkLV's instructions or at the os/kernel selection screen (grub menu) choose recovery/rescue mode and again follow the instuctions. Also you can try (at the grub menu) highlighting ubuntu, pressing e (to enter the grub options windows thingy) and changing the words 'quiet splash' to 'nomodeset' Press CTLR+X to boot - if you get to the desktop choose to install the recommended Nvidia Driver from the menu Adminstration -> Additional Drivers.

nicktheww2fanatic
February 17th, 2011, 02:35 PM
You should be able to connect via ethernet without any problems. If so you can either boot to your dodgy desktop, press CTRL+F1 and then follow PunkLV's instructions or at the os/kernel selection screen (grub menu) choose recovery/rescue mode and again follow the instuctions. Also you can try (at the grub menu) highlighting ubuntu, pressing e (to enter the grub options windows thingy) and changing the words 'quiet splash' to 'nomodeset' Press CTLR+X to boot - if you get to the desktop choose to install the recommended Nvidia Driver from the menu Adminstration -> Additional Drivers.

Thanks! Pressing E, then changing that line did it for me! I just downloaded and installed the nvidia drivers, and now its running great!

Hippytaff
February 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Excellent - glad you managed to sort it. :-)

Remember to mark the thread as solved in the thread tools at the top of the page ;-)

nicktheww2fanatic
February 17th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Excellent - glad you managed to sort it. :-)

Remember to mark the thread as solved in the thread tools at the top of the page ;-)

one step ahead of you there! Thanks for the assistance!

Hippytaff
February 17th, 2011, 02:47 PM
one step ahead of you there! Thanks for the assistance!

oh yeah doh! :roll:

your welcome!