PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot?

TriBlox6432
February 17th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Let me start off by saying: I've been using ubuntu only for the past 2.5 years, and I love it. My laptop died on me, so my mum got me a new one for my birthday. It's a Dell Inspiron M5030. I have Win7 and several apps I want to keep (Microsoft Office, until it can run 100% in WINE) so I would like to setup a dual boot system. The problem is: I don't want to have a GRUB nightmare. I've seen screenshots of people with like a million kernals listed. Is it possible to have it set up to, no matter how many new kernels there are installed, I see only two options: Ubuntu 10.10 (or whatever version) and Windows 7? Please detail the process.

cjv8888
February 17th, 2011, 05:59 AM
If you only like to see one kernel listed, just remove the older kernels either through synaptic or Ubuntu Tweak as soon as you are sure the newest one works. I don't think there is any way of only seeing one kernel in Grub2 automatically. You can physically put a # in front of the older kernel lines but once you run update-grub then it is back to the way it was.

wilee-nilee
February 17th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Take a look at this link.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1664134

There is also Ubuntu tweak for removing kernels easily amongst other goodies.