PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] system freezes-setting up secured wireless

pottzie
February 17th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Ubuntu 10.10 I'm getting a new wireless router working, and am having issues getting it to work. I've had Ubuntu installed on this computer for months, without a problem. My 'net provider just sent a new router, and after filling in the SSID and password, for some reason Ubuntu can't get it to work. I've had the system freeze, with both the mouse and keyboard "stuck," causing me to shut the box off and restart, as nothing else was working. When it boots, it doesn't see my wireless receiver, lsusb doesn't list it. I can pull it out of the socket and plug it back in, and then it shows in lsusb...then sometimes the system will freeze up, sometimes it actually tries to find the network..but without success.
Right now I'm posting from another computer. Just checked, and evidently Ubuntu found the network; but it's frozen again, and both the mouse and keyboard are dead.

Previously I had an unsecured router, with what can best be described as "gawd-awful" internet (MUCH slower than dial up!), so my provider swapped out the modem for this modem/transmitter combination. It was horrible, but at least it connected, and Ubuntu wasn't the problem then. Wonder what the problem is, and what do I have to do to get it to work?

fabricator4
February 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Get an ethernet cable (probably in the box the new router came in) and plug in via your ethernet card. It's a much faster and more reliable way to connect to a router than the USB cable.

If you don't have an ethernet cable, they're only a few dollars these days. If you don't have an ethernet port in the computer... Ummmm....

Chris