PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with synaptic package manager.

Alan5901
February 16th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I am experiencing a problem with the Ubuntu software center. When ever I try to install or uninstall something it takes a very long time and then nothing happens. I thought that it is a result of a package that is incorrectly installed. When I try to go in to the synaptic package manager I get this error message E:dpkg was interrupted you must manually run sudo dpkg - configure -a to correct the problem. E:cache ->open()failed, please report. From the message I thought that I could type sodo dpkg -- configure -a into the terminal and that this would resolve the problem. When I do this I am asked for my password I thought that this would be the one that I enter to log in on my computer but when I try to enter it nothing happens. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

coffeecat
February 16th, 2011, 10:20 PM
From the message I thought that I could type sodo dpkg -- configure -a into the terminal and that this would resolve the problem.

It's 'sudo dpkg --configure -a'. And there's no space between -- and configure. Check for typos when using the terminal.

When I do this I am asked for my password I thought that this would be the one that I enter to log in on my computer but when I try to enter it nothing happens.

Use your login password, but in the terminal you get no visual feedback when you type the password in. Don't worry - it is going in. Just type it in and press ENTER.

sikander3786
February 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM
And if sudo dpkg --configure -a returns some errors, please post the complete output here for further assistance.