PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Make directory and remove directory mess

ehobson
February 16th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Hi

I'm in a frustrating mess at the moment. In my efforts to auto mount an ntfs partition I created several directories and then removed them, now I can't seem to find any of the data in the partitions.

So what I did was the following:

1. I wanted to auto mount an nfts partition. I used the code:
"sudo fdisk -l"

I was presented with the locations of my partitions and I selected the incorrect one, I selected the one that contained my bootfiles for windows:
"/dev/sda2"
in the list there was also a partition contiaining my data:
"/dev/sda5"
That is the partion I wanted to auto mount.

2. I attempted to auto mount "/dev/sda2" using:
"sudo gedit /etc/fstab"

3. I changed the fstab file so that it contained the code:
"/dev/sda2 /home/Data ntfs-3g defaults 0 0"

4. I then created the mount point:
"sudo mkdir /home/Data"

5. I checked the /home/Data file and found that I had been working with the wrong partition.

I then repeated the procedure for /dev/sda5 and saw that this was the correct partition. I called the directory:
"sudo mkdir /home/data."

Now my problem I wanted to remove the directories that I had created. I used this code:
"*********"
"*********"

This removed the directories and when I rebooted I could see them listed in my places menu. Unfortunately all the files that they contained were gone.

Did I do what I think I did and delete them completely? My windows doesn't start now, which got me real worried. The good news is that I do have a backup of all my data.

Is there anyway to undo what I did without me reinstalling everything, including windows and linux?

Thanks

oldos2er
February 16th, 2011, 10:04 PM
When you use rm with the recursive flag (-R or -r), it deletes every subdirectory and all files. You could try testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) but I can't tell you with any certainty that you'd get all your files back.

Monotoko
February 16th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Were they mounted at the time when you removed those directories? If so you have lost it, but it's a good thing you had the data backed up, most people don't.

ehobson
February 16th, 2011, 10:57 PM
The partition with my data was mounted at the time. I knew I shouldn't have been so keen to try change things. Patience is the key, together with some more reading. I bumped into a nice post about setting up auto mount while in my panicked state. Thanks for the input.

iponeverything
February 16th, 2011, 11:13 PM
for future reference:

rmdir

would have safe/correct command to use.