PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] usb stuck

bjje
February 16th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I run 10.10, put in a usb stick and it shows up on the desktop. It shows up in /dev but I can't write to it. I can't even unmount it, giving me;

umount: /media/usb0 is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

I find that I can sudo cp to it, so I change owner and permissions but gnome still cannot do anything with it. what have I missed?

sikander3786
February 16th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Changing the ownership and permission of system files and directories hurts the Operating System in most cases and it starts acting weird.

How was the USB prepared and how did you chown/chmod?

Sorry for the irrelevant reply. Please see quadproc's suggestions in the post below.

quadproc
February 16th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I run 10.10, put in a usb stick and it shows up on the desktop. It shows up in /dev but I can't write to it. I can't even unmount it, giving me;

umount: /media/usb0 is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

You need to be root to umount something, and that something has to be not in use. So, if your USB stick has been automounted by the OS you will need to umount it first. You can get a list of mounted devices by inputting

mountfrom a terminal.

Note that cd to the stick makes it in use so you'll have to cd to somewhere else to avoid this trap.

quadproc

bjje
February 16th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Yes, I can unmount it in terminal but still can't get gnome to use it.

TeoBigusGeekus
February 16th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Mount it and post us the output of

mount
from terminal.

quadproc
February 17th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Yes, I can unmount it in terminal but still can't get gnome to use it.
I am not sure what you mean - did you try to read it or write it while it was unmounted? If so, that attempt should fail. To be able to read or write such a device, it needs to be mounted and the permissions need to be sufficient to allow you access. Or, you need to have root privilege.

quadproc