PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which email program do you use?

wonfineday
February 16th, 2011, 08:19 PM
As I am trying to figure out what is the best/most popular email program on Ubuntu, I figured this might be one way to do this.

I understand that everyone has unique needs... for instance I have about 10+ email accounts and am something of a power user that just got fed up with Windows and migrated to Ubuntu but am running into lots of email problems...

Thanks for your opinion - I appreciate it!!

jwcalla
February 16th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Thunderbird for me.

What kinds of e-mail problems?

Paqman
February 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Gmail's web interface is so good I don't use a desktop email program.

nothingspecial
February 16th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Gui - Thunderbird

cli - alpine

Frogs Hair
February 16th, 2011, 09:07 PM
None on Ubuntu , I login from the browser , which would be difficult with a heavy mail volume and many accounts. I keep evolution installed just in case I feel the need and I have a Firefox mail check add-on .

tednix
February 16th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I've set up Evolution and use it to archive my gmail and hotmail accounts locally on my own computer. That way, I hope, I'm not quite so vulnerable to a server crash at google or microsoft.
FWIW evolution does a terrible job of displaying images in individual messages.

Old *ix Geek
February 16th, 2011, 10:41 PM
SeaMonkey (http://www.seamonkey-project.org). I love it. :)

I continuously monitor/retrieve mail from all of my accounts throughout the day. There's no switching or anything to do, they're just all right there, accessible and visible from one location. I particularly like that I can start replying to an e-mail that's in one account, but change the 'from' address to a different account's just like that.

I also use its browser and its newsgroup client.

oldsoundguy
February 16th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Thunderbird here. Simply because I got very used to it when it was part of the Mozilla Suite for Windows YEARS ago. And because it is a tad more secure than IE was.
Also love the calendar plug in. Not a true full blown business style calendar, but sufficient for my daily needs.

Hippytaff
February 16th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Alpine because I'm still living in the 80's before graphical user interfaces :roll:

JRV
February 16th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I like Evolution, and my wife prefers Thunderbird.

Old *ix Geek
February 16th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Alpine because I'm still living in the 80's before graphical user interfaces :roll:The good old days! :D

stchman
February 17th, 2011, 12:20 AM
I used to use Evolution, but switched to Thunderbird as it is a lot faster. Also I don't need all the stuff that Evolution has.

lightningfox
February 17th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Gmail.

Cpierce
February 17th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Thunderbird, with the Lightning add-on.

wonfineday
February 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Seems like a significant number of users are using Thunderbird. How well does it integrate on the Panel like Evolution?

Nerflander
February 17th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Gmail ftw! :D

HermanAB
February 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Howdy,

The new Thunderbird is very nice and the tabs interface works well. It is much, much, much faster than Evolution (I have about 10,000 messages in my Citadel based inbox).

aeiah
February 17th, 2011, 11:00 AM
i just use gmail, but i have a shell account and use mutt with it.

maqtanim
February 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Actually I donot use any email clients. I am using gmail for my email and I check/reply/sent mail with gmail using any browser!

Hippytaff
February 17th, 2011, 01:45 PM
The good old days! :D

Indeed - tried mutt for a while to, but configuring it everytime I bugger up my ubuntu got a bit tiresome (i know seprate home partition, back up etcetc)

garyjmellor
February 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'm using Evolution and really like it. I have also tried Thunderbird. I migrated back to Evolution as I had tried and got used to Evolution first and actually preferred it. I use it to POP a Yahoo! Plus account only but I'm sure it would cope admirably with as many accounts as you could configure. I am unable to comment on speed as I have nothing to base the comparison on - using Thunderbird and Evolution to POP my one account seemed perfectly fast enough but perhaps if Thunderbird is quicker, as one poster suggested, then it is perhaps worth looking at that first if you have to amalgamate mail from 10 inboxes.

oldsoundguy
February 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I have already noted that I use Thunderbird, but would add a comment. You can equate Thunderbird to Outlook Express. It is limited in scope.
If you are migrating from Outlook and need the bells and whistles that accompany same, Evolution would be the better choice. Really depends on your usages in your eMail client.

Big advantage of Linux (in case you haven't figured it out yet) .. you can try anything. If it does not meet your needs, you can dump it without having to vacuum out your operating system to get the associated files out of there. And then try something else.
You can even go so far as having multiple programs installed side by side and run a comparison.