PDA

View Full Version : 9.04 external monitor resolution issues

circadian
February 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hey all.

I dual boot a Samsung NC-10 with Windows 7 and UNR 9.04. I have an extended desktop setup over an LG 20" Widescreen Flatron LCD (Model W2040T). My graphics card is an Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03).

I should preface this by saying that this problem does not occur in Windows; everything works as it should. This problem seems Ubuntu specific.

So here's my problem: the recommended resolution for this particular monitor is supposed to be 1600x900@60 Hz. The max that i get in System>Preferences>Display is 1024x768@75 Hz.

I have tried several things to correct the problem; including using gtf, and --newmode through xrandr. When i --addmode everything goes well and the mode is added. When I go back to System>Preferences>Display, the option for 1600x900 is available. So far so good.

Here is where the trouble starts: after clicking on the "Keep these settings" and then allowing the virtual display to resize, everything gets exceptionally buggy. The monitor is at the proper resolution but a thin horizontal distortion line shows up across the desktop background. Scrolling and moving open windows around works but results in a lot of stuttering, for lack of a better term. These problems also persist on the laptop display as well.

Also, when I go to System>Preferences>Appearance>Visual Effects, they have been reset back to NONE. When I try to put them back to NORMAL, the screen goes wonky for a few seconds and I get an error message stating that the display settings could not be applied.

The problem seems to be when the virtual display is increased. This is the original output from xrandr:

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2048 x 768, maximum 2048 x 785
VGA connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 443mm x 249mm
1024x768 75.0 60.0*
832x624 74.6
800x600 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 75.0 59.9
720x400 70.1
LVDS connected 1024x600+1024+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 222mm x 130mm
1024x600 60.0*+
800x600 85.1 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 85.0 72.8 75.0 59.9
720x400 85.0
640x400 85.1
640x350 85.1And this is my xorg.conf:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 2048 785
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection And this is xorg.conf after the virtual display resize

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 2624 900
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
Under System>Administration>Hardware Drivers it says, “there are no proprietary drivers in use on this system.” The only thing listed is the Atheros “madwifi” device driver, which is off.

After this problem occurred, I went into xorg.conf and changed the virtual display back to what the original maximum was in xrandr. So, everything works like before I started messing with the settings; which is great - just with less than optimal resolution on my external monitor.

I get the feeling that I am missing something here; perhaps the xorg.conf file needs more editing but I don't want to bork my system. Am I missing some sort of device driver?

I am relatively new to Linux and am still trying to familiarize myself with it; thus the post in beginner talk. I have done a lot of experimenting, and searching for anything even remotely related to my problem, but nothing has worked or isn't quite the problem I've been experiencing.

I'm at the limit of my experience and out of ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this; and I apologize if this is a bit long but i tried to think of everything that might be asked initially.

-cheers