PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] linux live on usb not saving

KXTwo
February 16th, 2011, 07:35 AM
this might be a dumb question and I found nothing doing a search. Im currently running ubuntu from a usb card, it runs great, except its not saving. I have to enter my pw for my wireless network everytime, it doesnt keep bookmarks etc etc. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is?

KXTwo
February 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
This must have been a trickier question than I thought.

nothingspecial
February 16th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Make another usb stick with usb-creator-gtk

and tick the stored in reserved space box

You have not got persistance enabled so in your case, yes thats the way it is.

clhsharky
February 16th, 2011, 03:04 PM
KXTwo

Welcome to UF.

Are you using live ISO image?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD
or are you using a persistent image?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

I recommend install on 8GB usb stick.

Sharky

KXTwo
February 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I downloaded unbuntu 10.10 and followed the instructions for installing to usb by using universal usb installer.

tea for one
February 16th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I downloaded unbuntu 10.10 and followed the instructions for installing to usb by using universal usb installer.

Good evening

It is not quite clear which software utility you used to create your device.

The method that works most of the time is to use the Startup Disk Creator within the Ubuntu System menu.

System > Administration > Startup Disk Creator (with or without persistence)

"Universal USB Installer" sounds like the Unetbootin software, which does not offer automatic persistence.

KXTwo
February 17th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I guess im not fully understanding. What I want to do is be able to boot linux from my usb drive, and for any changes I make to be saved to the usb like if I had ubuntu installed on my harddrive. All of the walkthroughs I've looked at are for if I actually had a live cd and wanted the usb to be persistent.

KXTwo
February 17th, 2011, 01:52 AM
omg I feel like an idiot. There is an option right on universal usb installer for persistance. Im trying it now and let everyone know if it works.

BananaPeal
February 17th, 2011, 02:04 AM
I'm trying to do the same thing and honestly, it appears there are limitations to persistence...

First thing I tried were to install proprietary gpu drivers and ... after some mad googling and some terminal commands, although I got the drivers installed, it wasn't clear if they worked and after I did a synaptic update of the whole system, my sudo became inoperative and other things seemed to break. now i'm stuck.

so another option to persistence is to use a physical linux cd to do a full install to usb by choosing the usb as the target instead of your hdd. if you try this, be careful that grub doesn't install to your hdd (as default) but your usb instead!

that should give all the functionality of a real linux install.

my 54 cents. (really felt shorter in my head!)
):P

KXTwo
February 17th, 2011, 02:27 AM
universal usb installer did the trick. Simply follow the link from the ubuntu download page, download installer and the iso, when you copy the iso to your usb card simply set persistance to whatever size you so chose.