View Full Version : [SOLVED] Work around for the dreaded "cannot find /dev/dsp" error

February 16th, 2011, 04:39 AM
For several months I have been trying to find a way to run older apps from the Ubuntu repository which rely on the presence of /dev/dsp as a standard location for hooks into the audio system. I even posted several threads here on Ubuntu forums which received many looks but no suggestions of a solution.

Yesterday I found a work-around that seems to make those older applications usable again. It is hidden inside an installable application called "pulseaudio-utils" and is the command "padsp". You have to install pulseaudio-utils, then launch your commands which require /dev/dsp by prefixing them with

padsp [application name]

This lets many of the otherwise useless legacy applications remain usable in recent distributions of Ubuntu. Remember that this is a "work-around" and not a real fix for the missing /dev/dsp. Hopefully someone at Ubuntu will eventually decide to write a shim program called /dev/dsp that will make this non-standard launch method unnecessary.

November 28th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the workaround :) It works like a top =D>