PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] toshiba l655d laptop wireless networking freezes and requires reconnect to work again

Colonel_Ingus
February 16th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Toshiba L655D Laptop.

Ubuntu 10.10

Wireless works for a few minutes then freezes and won't work again unless I click disconnect and then reconnect to the same network.

Any ideas?

Colonel_Ingus
February 19th, 2011, 01:02 AM
anyone?

Colonel_Ingus
February 21st, 2011, 10:12 PM
Every 3 minutes it freezes.. now it will come back if I wait about 2 minutes, but then freeze again in 3-5 minutes and so on.. or I can just reconnect and it works.

Colonel_Ingus
March 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Can anyone tell me something to type in, to get more info, to help diagnose this issue?

Please help me.

Colonel_Ingus
March 3rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
If left, after the connection freezes, after several minutes it starts working again on its own.

Colonel_Ingus
March 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Being really patient here, as you can see above..

Anyone, any help at all? Someone that's an advanced user could maybe help me diagnose this issue...

random417
March 11th, 2011, 03:57 AM
I'm having the same problem. It will work fine, for a while, but then it stops working. I had some problems finding the right driver, but I believe that's right now. I'm on it now, so it does work, but I work online and I can't get it to be stable enough to work, it just quits. If I get it worked out, I'll post how on here, but if anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

EvaRoach65
March 11th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Hi guys,I like the concept of that laptop,nice.

Colonel_Ingus
March 17th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I'm having the same problem. It will work fine, for a while, but then it stops working. I had some problems finding the right driver, but I believe that's right now. I'm on it now, so it does work, but I work online and I can't get it to be stable enough to work, it just quits. If I get it worked out, I'll post how on here, but if anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

Same here, and please don't forget, we have to fix this issue. You and I man, we seem to be the only ones in it.

If anyone else is willing to help PLEASE help

Colonel_Ingus
March 21st, 2011, 09:54 PM
anything?

Colonel_Ingus
March 22nd, 2011, 09:19 PM
Anyone at all?

Colonel_Ingus
March 30th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Still need help with this.

Colonel_Ingus
April 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM
Okay I'm off work today, decided it was getting fixed no matter what.

First, the only way to even get it to work is to:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lexical/hwe-wireless
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rtl8192ce-dkms
...and then reboot.

Now if you're like me, you now have a wifi connection that cuts out every few minutes and requires a reconnect.

It's just a DNS issue, using DHCP it automatically tries to use your ISP's DNS servers.
I like leaving DHCP on with my router, but every computer here has a specific IP, most routers will still allow you to do manual entry while having dhcp on, if not, turn it off.
So Edit Connections at the top right and enter:

ip: 192.168.1.5
mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.1
dns: 192.168.1.1
Just using my linksys router as the DNS server worked like a charm. It's completely stable now, never loses its connection.