PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why is it i have to be scientist use ubuntu!

realm808
February 15th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Hi i am realm

look i know i am knew but if you going get ever one turn to ubuntu and the like, for heaven sake, can`t you just do a what they do with microsoft windows, when you want to install programs or drivers do we have to go back to the dark ages and use dos i.e terminal comon everyone i was told how fast ubuntu is and yes it is and it does every thing that i what my computer to do bam it done but to install a simple driver why can`t i click on it and it installs like in windows why do have to compile it should have to comon guys if you want ubuntu to be succesful make it damn easy even for an ape to use simples yeah please.

Old *ix Geek
February 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM
First of all, punctuation is your friend. Kindly learn how to use it so your posts are more intelligible.

Second, there are no DOS commands in Linux.

Third, if my mother--who is over 80 and as computer illiterate as they come--can use Ubuntu all day every day, without ever seeing a command prompt or even knowing what a command line is, ANYONE can. So I don't know what you're doing or what you're trying to do, but if you could kindly repost your question(s) in a more informative way, I'm sure someone can help you.

Be specific. Tell us what you're trying to do, give us any pertinent information (such as specific hardware if that's what you're having problems with), tell us what you've already tried or what instructions you're following, and tell us what happens when you do that.

coffeecat
February 15th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Tell us what you're trying to do

I think the OP is trying to install software - although it's difficult to tell - and hasn't yet discovered the Ubuntu Software Centre, and hasn't yet discovered it's easier to install software in Ubuntu than in Windows.

hansolo4949
February 15th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I agree, coffeecat, or the OP (to steal the phrase;)) is trying to get some drivers for some piece of hardware, and can only find ones that you need to compile, and has not found "additional drivers" yet.

robro
February 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM
:| I believe that ubuntu is much easier than windows i got it up and running in 1 hour, 45 minutes to install, 15 to learn how to use it.

http://files.sharenator.com/tumblr_kut2d8sv2B1qatk68o1_400_Your_Argument_is_In valid-s400x478-66332-580.jpg

If you want windows use windows :)

lisati
February 15th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Um, DOS commands? Huh? Let's get the "this is Linux, not Windows/MS-DOS" stuff out of the way quickly with the observation that some of us find it easier to describe using the command line to install software.

Having said that, someone has already suggested looking at the Software Center. You can find it on the "Applications" menu.

Another option is "Synaptic Package Manager": this can be found on the System->Administration menu. It's a bit more advanced, but can still be useful.

PaulReaver
February 15th, 2011, 10:47 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/tumblr_kut2d8sv2B1qatk68o1_400_Your_Argument_is_In valid-s400x478-66332-580.jpg

on a lighter note.... I love this.... pure genius :)

cgroza
February 15th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Command line to install apps? OMG, event with that fancy Ubuntu Software Center, people still bring hard installation as an argument. I guess it is better to hunt the web for the exe full of viruses.

TeoBigusGeekus
February 15th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Read this (http://ubuntu-manual.org/download/10.04e2/en_US/screen) book to start finding your way with ubuntu.

If ubuntu still confuses you, try gentoo and post what you've posted in the gentoo forums.

robro
February 15th, 2011, 11:09 PM
If ubuntu still confuses you, try gentoo and post what you've posted in the gentoo forums.

I second that motion :D
:popcorn:

Old *ix Geek
February 15th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by realm808
Hi, I am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll, i am an internet troll!!!Indeed :D:lolflag:

lisati
February 15th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Methinks the OP left the building with only one post 49 minutes ago.....