PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Login password/Login keyring problem

Primus1
February 15th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Hi, the last two days when I start my computer I login with my computer password but then a box comes up saying "the password you use to login to your computer no longer matches that of your login keyring"

With luck I drag a old password out of my head and must hit on the right one because it accepts it and my computer is all logged in and fine.

Anyone know what's happened? I haven't been using any program which requires this "keyring" thing, or done anything different with my computer, puzzling.

maryeliezka
February 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM
It happened to my Ubuntu Maverick too. I'm so confused so i change back the password to the old one. Is there any one who can help us?

Primus1
February 15th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Hi, I'm using Ubuntu Lucid.

Primus1
February 17th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Only me and maryeliezka (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1218952) with this problem?

mcduck
February 17th, 2011, 01:16 PM
If you change your login password, the keyring password isn't changed automatically, you ahve to do that yourself (if you want to, of curse. Some people prefer having separate password for login and keyring).

Anyway, it's easy to do, just go to System/Preferences/Passwords and Encryption Keys, right-click on the "Passwords:login"-keyring and select "Change Password". Type in the old password and set the new one to same as your login password.

(If you are using 10.04 or older Ubuntu verson the same tool can be found in Applications/Accessories/Passwords and Encryption Keys)

Primus1
February 17th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hi, I haven't changed my login password, this keyring thing just popped up out of the blue.

mcduck
February 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hi, I haven't changed my login password, this keyring thing just popped up out of the blue.

Then have you perhaps set your system to use automatic login? Besides, you mentioned that you used old password to unlock it, which pretty much sounds like you have at some point changed the password ;)

The keyring will be unlocked automatically if you use normal login, and the keyring password is the same as login password.

If you use automatic login, or have different password for login & keyring, you need to give keyring password to unlock it when some application tries to access the keyring.

(If you want to use automatic login without having to enter the keyring password, you can set the keyring to store the passwords in unencrypted format, without a password. To do that just follow the instructions for changing the keyring password, but leave the fields for new password empty. You'll get a warning about using unsafe storage, but it really makes no difference if you are already using automatic login anyway.)

llamabr
February 18th, 2011, 12:40 AM
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/12/automatically-unlocking-the-default-gnome-keyring-pam-keyring/

maybe this will help you

mcduck
February 18th, 2011, 06:35 AM
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/12/automatically-unlocking-the-default-gnome-keyring-pam-keyring/

maybe this will help you

It won't, unless he has actually removed that package himself. It's been included by default for a long time now.

Primus1
February 18th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the replys. When it asked for a password I though that at some point I must have know this keyring password, then I thought the only thing I could do is to try one of the passwords in my memory - we all carry lots for different things don't we? old email pass and others we hardly ever use. Luckily I soon tried one that worked, massive stroke of luck.

The only thing I changed recently is installing BBC iPlayer. Would that cause such a problem? It loads at start, perhaps it is asking access to this keyring thing.

No I have not removed the package mentioned.

mcduck
February 18th, 2011, 01:39 PM
More likely the keyring is accessed by Network Manager. Although quite many of Ubuntu's default apps use the keyring; Ubuntu One, Empathy, Evolution, all the remote desktop tools, Nautilus if you have any network shares, Gibber, and the list goes on. Pretty much every Gnome application that uses passwords of some kind.

Anyway, whatever might have caused your problem, if your keyring password isn't the same as your login password is, you should follow my instruction and change it so both passwords are the same. After that the keyring should unlock automatically when you log in to your desktop.

Primus1
February 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Ok, I'll do that, thanks :)

Primus1
February 20th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks mcduck (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=17309) both passes the same now and the problem solved.

pjorge1036
February 22nd, 2011, 12:33 AM
If you change your login password, the keyring password isn't changed automatically, you ahve to do that yourself (if you want to, of curse. Some people prefer having separate password for login and keyring).

Anyway, it's easy to do, just go to System/Preferences/Passwords and Encryption Keys, right-click on the "Passwords:login"-keyring and select "Change Password". Type in the old password and set the new one to same as your login password.

(If you are using 10.04 or older Ubuntu verson the same tool can be found in Applications/Accessories/Passwords and Encryption Keys)
Thanks for this info I was trying to figure out how to do this but being new to Ubuntu and Linux I was Lost... now I feel silly since it was so simple.:D