PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] X question

QuantumFireball
February 15th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I have a really old Dell computer (Dell PowerEdge 1300) that I am wanting to use as a small server (samba file server and apt-cacher-ng). I installed Ubuntu server and then did "sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop" which was a bad idea because it killed the performance.

So here is my question.
Ive read you can split the X client and server. Would that let me run a graphical program (like Synaptic) over X without installing any sort of GUI on the Dell?

If that is the case, how would I go about doing so?

If I would still have to install a GUI on the Dell, what are other options since the on-board display adapter seems to struggle with graphics?

mikewhatever
February 15th, 2011, 09:46 AM
The other options depend on what you want from the GUI, but generally, running xserver itself is probably the biggest strain.

mr_luksom
February 15th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Only 64MB RAM? Definitely not gnome ubuntu. Maybe, and I mean maybe, you could install lubuntu that uses lxdm rather than gnome:

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

Psychocats has a good guide for getting rid of the gnome stuff if you want to Google it. Otherwise, I'd be looking at a new distro like puppy or dsl.

QuantumFireball
February 16th, 2011, 07:53 AM
64 mb? I have 256 MB in it. I actually stumbled upon webmin which seems to be working quite nicely for the moment.