PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] I would like to watch TV through my PC

jumpgroup
February 15th, 2011, 05:37 AM
I've seen quite a number of threads on the topic, but I'm still confused and haven't been able to put it all together in a way that makes sense, so I'm hoping someone here can help plug the holes in my understanding.

I would like to route my TV signal from my Verizon Set Top Box (STB) through my computer (laptop, so i need a USB input solution) to my HD TV (while preserving the HD as much as possible). I'm currently streaming static content via Ampache (videos and music), which gives me the ability to watch content through VLC either in a little window or enlarged to full screen. I like this approach.

Sure, I'd like to be able to do the whole record, rewind, fast forward, etc. And yes, I may end up with a Myth distro. Essentially, what I want is HD Tivo-type functionality that can be reduced to a window so I can work on other stuff too. I don't mind changing the channel through the STB remote (or using an IR blaster).

I do NOT want to use the Hauppauge PVR, which is expensive and unreliable. I find it impossible to believe that TiVo has an HD solution without this type of hardware, but apparently we need it? Or does TiVo exploit the analog hole too?

To summarize what I'm looking for, in order or priority:
- A laptop USB solution
- All channels (yes, even premium)
- HD window/full screen capability
- Pause, rwd, ff
- Record
- Channel change via IR blaster
- Any other cool suggestions

Stuff I DON'T want:
- Happauge (or similar) PVR
- Over the air broadcast/first 50 channel solutions

Am I just SOL? I thought this would be pretty easier...

LowSky
February 15th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Sorry the Hauppauge HD PVR is the only option if you want all your channels.

And it isn't unreliable for me. Not one failure.

jumpgroup
February 15th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Thank you for the recommendation. The Hauppauge forums had a fair number of posts (all from Windows users) that rebooting was required from once a month to multiple times daily.

In this case, it must be a driver issue that Ubuntu has thankfully avoided.

Any idea how TiVo pulls this off?

lisati
February 15th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I suspect that the Tivo boxes work better because the recording department is integrated into the same box as the tuner(s), and might need less conversion steps than would be required with the Haupage device.

Would a DVB-T dongle to receive the programs and recording the programs directly with your computer be an option?

jumpgroup
February 15th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Would a DVB-T dongle to receive the programs and recording the programs directly with your computer be an option?

No thanks. I'm looking to maximize the experience and minimized the financial rape from Verizon (or any cable provider). They want $20/month for a crappy 30 Gb DVR. I can buy a 30Gb hard drive for $20. And I'd like to consolidate everything, music, video, live cable broadcast, into one solution...probably with Myth.

I'm willing to build a PC from scratch, if that what if takes. But, for me, it's not worth it if I can't get all my channels.

I'll take another look at the Haupaugh PVR based on the previous post. It seems like an insane work around for using the analog hole. And some boxes disable component out while HDMI is in use. Have to check that too.

My butt's starting to hurt...