PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Do you think that GNOME 3 will completely replace GNOME 2?

sirspazzolot
February 13th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Or would you have the option of a GNOME 2 session in addition to a GNOME 3 session? Do you think Ubuntu will to officially adopt GNOME 3 when it's released?

Copper Bezel
February 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Well, no, they're using Unity (which is just another shell for Gnome, with a very similar method to Gnome 3's) instead. Once Gnome 3 fully phases out Gnome 2, Unity will presumably be the only Gnome DE option in Ubuntu.

I mean, Gnome 3 isn't a fork. That's the direction the whole project is heading.

Frogs Hair
February 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
The only thing that seems certain to me is a move away from the current version of Gnome as we know it . In 11.04 Unity will be default desktop , but many distros will still use the current Gnome desktop. Gnome 3 will be released when the developers think it is ready and will eventually replace the current version.

I will wait and see because when I started using Ubuntu , just under a year ago there was talk of 10.10
using Gnome 3 . Also at that time there was no mention of Libre Office , which is an example of how fast things can change.

tednix
February 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Pleas explain something to a noob.

Is Unity the same as Gnome 3? I've tried a 11.04 alpha and Unity will result in a reboot of my learning process. I've only been using Ubuntu seriously for a month.

Warpnow
February 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM
No, not the same. Gnome 3 is the new version of Gnome that's currently in development. It has a bunch of odd new features that could turn out to be either revolutionary or annoying, we'll see, such as Gnome-Shell.

Gnome 3 has had a big backlash against it. A good number of people don't like it. Gnome Shell especially. Unity is an Ubuntu custom interface designed originally for netbooks. It is based on Gnome 2 I believe.

Or you can just use XFCE like me and not have to deal with all these confusing things. :-p

sirspazzolot
February 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Derp. I forgot about Unity. Let's say when GNOME 3 is released, I choose to install it on a 10.10 installation. Would I be able to log in with a GNOME 3 and GNOME 2 session, or do you think 3 would overwrite 2?

tlcstat
February 13th, 2011, 06:40 PM
delete

kellemes
February 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM
or you can just use xfce like me and not have to deal with all these confusing things. :-p

+1
:popcorn: