PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] VirtualBox guests accessing USB devices

CTBuckweed
February 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I present this fix in case others have the same problem. It's a VirtualBox 4.0.2 defect and a ticket at virtualbox.org has already been opened for it.

I upgraded from VirtualBox 3.2.12 to 4.0.2. I am running ubuntu Lucid (10.04), 64 bit and I host a Windows XP guest OS for things that must have Windows. Since the upgrade, I have been having a problem restoring a guest OS saved state back to the running state.

I get the error in a pop-up that states:

################################
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine XP-1.

Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found!

Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the VM cannot be #started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' #or disable USB 2.0 support in the VM settings (VERR_NOT_FOUND).

Unknown error creating VM (VERR_NOT_FOUND).
################################

This happens consistently whenever I attempt to restore the saved state of the guest OS when it's configured to use USB 2.0 devices.

I was about to back off to vbox 3.2.12, then I found a fix at the VirtualBox web site. There's already a ticket open for the defect - ticket #8182. http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8182

There is a work-around as specified in the ticket details. I am fixed!!! I followed the details described in the work-around; The fix has to do with editing the .xml file for the virtual machine. See the ticket URL for more details.

pdc124
May 3rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
I had the same error message after removing VB 3-2 and installing VB 4. I closed the machine, went into 'settings' for that machine , it told me somthing was wrong adn that it had corrected it. The machine started after that.

CTBuckweed
May 4th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I upgraded my Vbox from 4.0.4 to 4.0.6... Now the USB support doesn't work at all. I can't even see my USB printer -- I can't see any USBs at all now. When I get time, I'll just downgrade it to 4.0.4. and report it as a defect to virtualbox.org

CTBuckweed
May 20th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I upgraded my Vbox from 4.0.4 to 4.0.6... Now the USB support doesn't work at all. I can't even see my USB printer -- I can't see any USBs at all now. When I get time, I'll just downgrade it to 4.0.4. and report it as a defect to virtualbox.org

I upgraded to 4.0.8 just a couple of days ago.... Now it works :P