PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iPod files are gone and gtkpod is filled with errors

angualupin
February 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I've been using gtkpod to manage my iPod for at least a year with no major problems. However, today I mounted my iPod, loaded it in gtkpod, added some files, made a couple new playlists -- all things I have done before with no problem whatsoever -- and then, when I unmounted my iPod, it told me there were no music files on the iPod whatsoever. Now, when I try and loaded it in gtkpod, it gives me the following error:

Error reading extended info: filename_ipod0

followed by a lot of "Error reading extended info: [unidentified symbols]", and finally ending with:

iPod Database Import Failed: 'Failed to read from file '/media/SARRA's IPO/iPod_Control/iTunes/iTuneDB': input/output error

The music files are still there, taking up the same amount of disc space as they did before; however, the iPod registers them as "other" files in the Settings > About screen, and when the iPod is mounted as a harddrive, the music files are located in the iPod_Control > Music > a bunch of folders entitled "F##", and are not labelled with any distinguishable album/artist/title metadata.

The iPod is an iPod Classic 120 GB (xB562), and my gtkpod is the 0.99.14 release.

I was hoping that someone would be able to either a) inform me how to make my iPod work again, b) inform me how to make gtkpod work again, or, failing those, at least c) inform me how to rescue my music with the metadata intact. Anyone?