PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Terrible Flash update

Swagman
February 11th, 2011, 04:54 PM
What the heck is wrong with the latest (32 bit) Flash update ?

I have NEVER had a single issue with flash but since this latest update it regularly crashes... glitches, all sorts of weird stuff.

I've used synaptic to completely remove it.. rebooted.. installed it. That seemed to cure it but after a couple of minutes playing it's glitching again.

Anyone else getting this problem and does anyone know how to cure it ?

Yes I'm using a nVidia GPU (8800GT)

[edit]

Is there anyway to roll back - reinstall the earlier version ?

sandfire
February 11th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have had problems too, since the last update.

Prior to that I could log into youtube and view videos with Firefox. Now I cannot.

I have to use Google Chrome instead.

Has anyone got any answers or possible solutions, please?

Cheers,

Sandfire

TBABill
February 11th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure if something is borked in the Flash available in the repos, but I'm assuming that's the plugin causing you issues. Can you install Flash Aid from the web? If you aren't familiar, it's an extension that removes your current flash plugin and gets the latest from Adobe.

RedSingularity
February 11th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I understand its a 32bit upgrade, but what system architecture are you running?

beew
February 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure if something is borked in the Flash available in the repos, but I'm assuming that's the plugin causing you issues. Can you install Flash Aid from the web? If you aren't familiar, it's an extension that removes your current flash plugin and gets the latest from Adobe.

+1 to that. Lovinglinux rules. :)
https://addons.mozilla.org/af/firefox/addon/flash-aid/

msmx5s
February 11th, 2011, 06:08 PM
WTF is going on?

I've done some updates in the last few days, and now Flash Player does not work at all.

Wherever it is needed it says "Missing Plug-in"

This is a nightmare!

Sylos
February 11th, 2011, 06:08 PM
What version of flash it that is installed?

I only ask as I was recently made aware of a new flash version out that supports hardware acceleration for NVIDIA cards via the VDPAU lib. Might it be teething problems with this that are the source of the issue?

RedSingularity
February 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
WTF is going on?

I've done some updates in the last few days, and now Flash Player does not work at all.

Wherever it is needed it says "Missing Plug-in"

This is a nightmare!

Does firefox give you an idea of what the plugin is? IcedTea for example..?

msmx5s
February 11th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I have no idea what the version is, but it isn't just a firefox problem. It's affected Chrome, Chromium, and Chrome Plus too.

msmx5s
February 11th, 2011, 06:24 PM
OK I updated manually the flash player in FireFox to 10.2 R152 and now it works.

Unfortunately, I use Chrome based browsers the most, and that hasn't helped

msmx5s
February 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Restarted Ubuntu after the Firefox flash update, and that solved the Chrome problems too.

Sorted. :)

sandfire
February 11th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Does firefox give you an idea of what the plugin is? IcedTea for example..?

Please excuse my ignorance. I am not in any way knowledgeable on matter Ubuntu. What I have done
is accesses add-ons in Firefox and the only reference to Flash is Shockwave Flash10.1 r999. Gnash
0.8.8 .

My system is 32 bit Ubuntu 10.10.

If that is enough info for someone to help me, I'd be grateful.

Sandfire

msmx5s
February 11th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Remove that plugin, then go to a page that needs flash. I had 3 options to choose from. The 2nd one I tried worked. Sorry, I didn't notice which one it was.

TBABill
February 11th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Please excuse my ignorance. I am not in any way knowledgeable on matter Ubuntu. What I have done
is accesses add-ons in Firefox and the only reference to Flash is Shockwave Flash10.1 r999. Gnash
0.8.8 .

Sandfire
Probably can just go into Synaptic and search "GNASH", then remove it. It conflicts with Flash.

savaan
February 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'm having the same issues...but on Chromium. My wife uses Firefox and she's having the same issues. We're both on 10.10 and running the newest flash right from Adobe's site

Cracklepop
February 12th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Are there still this many people using 32 bit gear in 2011?!

Flash Square 64 bit is up to it's third revision now, and is working perfectly for me.

RedSingularity
February 12th, 2011, 03:36 AM
0.8.8 .

Sandfire

Try this,

sudo apt-get autoremove --purge gnash

Then see if the problem is solved.

hansdown
February 12th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Hi sandfire.

Click

system> administration> synaptic package manager.

Install

flashplugin-installer

Thanks to lovinglinux.

It will remove any unwanted plugins, and install the correct one for your system.

garagepoort
February 12th, 2011, 04:09 AM

Thank you!! This fixed not only firefox but chrome also. I was having some serious trouble getting this to work again.
Silly me not checking the forum first.
Hats off to you kind sir :)

David