PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Scripting language...

coolmego
February 11th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I am a newbee in UBUNTU and using 10.10..and i have a general question as what is bash??...whether bash and shell-scripting are same??...and why is this basically used??..i mean what is the significance of using it..??? :confused:
*before posting i checked the previos threads but did not find any suitable answer which lets me understand..*
*sorry if the title is not appropriate didn't find any though..*

Frogs Hair
February 11th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Bash is the the shell , I found/find this link useful . http://linuxcommand.org/

vivek.pandey
February 11th, 2011, 02:54 PM
friend i would suggest you to google a lot and also go through ubuntu documentation they are really helpful

coolmego
February 11th, 2011, 03:15 PM
thanks for your reply..and will go through the link definitely....

The Cog
February 11th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Bash is a commonly used command interpreter for Linux. Its direct equivalent in the DOS/windows world is command.com/cmd.exe although bash is vastly more powerful than them. It gives you a command prompt that allows you to launch programs and write smallish programs called scripts. The main function of scripting is to automate the launching of other programs to get work done.

sh and ksh are other common Linux command interpterers. sh is simpler and faster than bash, so sh is generally used for scripts where the extra complexity isn't needed, and bash is generally used for interactive command shells. Don't know about ksh.

Shell scripting is a term covering the writing of scripts for any of these shells.

Why is it used? Originally it was just to automate things that operators ended up doing over and over again in the course of their work. The whole computer is just running commands you tell it to - that's what computers do.

rudy1094
October 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM
This thread is a nice intro to scripting. That linuxCommand website is very helpful. Thanks.

wildmanne39
October 13th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Old thread closed.