PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntu?

hadaro
February 11th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I am sorry if it's not the right place for this, couldn't find another one and also it is help for me.

So, my question is:
Ubuntu because it's a linux system (correct me if I am wrong, I don't know much about it) than it doesn't have support to many many very important things, that were built to either WIndows or Mac, such as Photoshop, Office etc.
Yes, those kind of programs have an alternative. but the alternative is expected to be only an alternative (of course), which is the reason why it's not good enough (GIMP as a Photoshop is not that professional, and you don't have a lot of things Photoshop has to offer). and also not every time you can find the alternative.
I tried to find a compiler for the programming-language C# that I can have a window form with that drag and drop elements and all of those stuff and I can't find any... the best program that linux has to offer is MonoDevelop, which I also have other problems with it.

OK, I think I made my point by now..
So.. what do you say?

Willyinpr4u
February 11th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Dude, with all respect, everybody is entitle to his own opinion.
I had worked with Windows Xp, Vista and now 7, and everything have its up and down, but I'm not gonna get into that now; if I start to mention all the flaws and fault from Windows, I would need two more pages.

I am completely new to Ubuntu, but this what I'm using as of now, and just like everything, first you need to learn how it works, its parameter, etc...

I am now learning how to use Terminal, which if I may say so, looks a lot like IOS4.x from the IPod or IPhone Jailbreak. And even thou I'm a newbie in Ubuntu, I wouldn't criticize it yet until I have try all the resource.

What's the key of learning how it works?
The key to what you need?
And how to use your commands in Terminal?
Reading, that's what I've been doing, from the forums, tutorials,
etc...

Oh!, it's way easier for me to do everything in Windows, but then that wouldn't be half the fun as learning how to use a new OS.

This is my first post here, but not my first visit since I've been reading in the forums. And I hope nobody feels that I'm bashing anybody. The best thing is that you get to choose which OS to work with, so if you like other OS better and feel more comfortable, well, good for you, but to answer your question:
Why Ubuntu?
Because working in the internet with Ubuntu is much faster than other OS, because it is a challenge to me, in which if an app doesn't work as it should be, or are not to anybodies expectation, then maybe somebody could create a new app that works, maybe learning how to create apps. But the best part, it is free, open source, and up until now, no worries about security holes.

Congrats, very good question my friend.

Frogs Hair
February 11th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Use what works for you , I dual boot with Win 7 and use Ubuntu most of the time . Did you have a support question ?

amsterdamharu
February 11th, 2011, 06:33 AM
+1 on the use what works for you.

If you need to program C# I'd go with Visual Studio or the free visual studio express
http://www.microsoft.com/express/Windows/
The .net platform is developed by Microsoft to be cross platform as Java but I don't think it'll ever run well on anything but Windows.

I am just about to learn how to use gimp but still can't compare it to photoshop because I've never used it.

When comparing software and OS's a lot of personal opinion comes in but in my opinion the way Linux and a lot of Linux software is created and maintained is on the right track (open source). The design is sometimes "smarter" in Linux, like multi language. Lunux dealt with it a long time ago when Windows would still ask you "What is your locale/language?" and then give you a list of countries to choose form as if the country your in is the language you speak.

uRock
February 11th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I love Ubuntu because the tools that I have found get the job done for me. I only keep Windows 7 around for keeping in touch with the OS that I know I'll be working with in the business world for a few years to come.

Moving to recurring discussions as this is a repetitive subject.