PDA

View Full Version : Sound problems with 10.4 netbook remix and ASUS 1001pxd (Realtek ALC259)

walkkenn1
February 10th, 2011, 08:50 PM
The internal microphone is not recognized. When I plug in a mike and headset I have no sound at all. When I run the alsamixer there is no mute box below the PCM, Mike Boost and Capture fields. They are only on the first two fields (master and speaker). I used the sound guide that was posted on the website, but, honestly I'm afraid that I am just making the problem worse. I have looked through the different threads and nothing seems to be working for me. I pulled up this info as a starter:

walkkenn@walkkennHAL3:~$ uname -a
Linux walkkennHAL3 2.6.32-28-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 10 21:21:01 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
walkkenn@walkkennHAL3:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC259 Analog [ALC259 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
walkkenn@walkkennHAL3:~$ dpkg -l | grep "alsa"
ii alsa-base 1.0.22.1+dfsg-0ubuntu3 ALSA driver configuration files
ii alsa-utils 1.0.22-0ubuntu5 ALSA utilities
ii bluez-alsa 4.60-0ubuntu8 Bluetooth audio support
ii gnome-alsamixer 0.9.7~cvs.20060916.ds.1-2 ALSA sound mixer for GNOME
ii gstreamer0.10-alsa 0.10.28-1 GStreamer plugin for ALSA
rc libsdl1.2debian-alsa 1.2.14-4ubuntu1.1 Simple DirectMedia Layer (with X11 and ALSA
ii linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-28-generic 2.6.32-28.27 Ubuntu supplied Linux modules for version 2.
ii linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic 2.6.32.28.32 Backported drivers for alsa-driver snapshot.
walkkenn@walkkennHAL3:~$ head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
Codec: Realtek ALC259

I have posted the configuration at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=5b6bed00ad7e6bcabac561bff6c185c5a4785c29
Thanks for the help!:)

walkkenn1
February 11th, 2011, 04:05 PM
http://paste.ubuntu.com/565882/

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=d88af7e00befc9b4e7d5cc6555420e5bdee223d4

The last one seems to indicate that there are no input devices listed, but I don't have the expertise to fix the problem.

harlandski
February 22nd, 2011, 07:35 AM
I am in the process of installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.10 on my ASUS 1001pxd, and it seems like I'm going to have the same problem. I'm running Ubuntu from my pendrive at the moment, but it also seems like the internal mic isn't working. I'm afraid I don't have any solutions at the moment. I'll post any success I have here.

walkkenn1
February 23rd, 2011, 10:47 PM
I have since determined that a microphone works if connected through the microphone jack. You have to play with the recording sound in sound preferences. I still can't get the internal mic to work in any configuration.

One of the things I tried was to change my version of ALSA to 1.0.23 and that didn't work any better, so now I am back to 1.0.22

I also tried what I could of the solutions on the Sound Guide troubleshooting manuel that was posted online.

Like I said, I can now use the sound recorder with an internal mic, but I have not been able to get the internal mic to work or any mic to work with SKYPE.

walkkenn1
February 23rd, 2011, 11:05 PM
My problem is now solved. It seems that I was simply overmodulating the input. Go to sound preferences and go to input. I had the mic input set at 100% when it should actually be set at unamplified at the input level. When the input level is set somewhat above that (unamplified), it just doesn't work.

I also don't know if this is the fix for the problem, or I have done something else and inadvertently fixed it some other way.

walkkenn1
March 9th, 2011, 04:50 PM
This problem is continuing. After a new update the microphones failed again. I seem to be going in circles here. In an attempt to fix them I have updated to ALSA 1.0.23, but I have the same problem. Can't seem to get this to work on the ASUS for any great length of time.:confused:

walkkenn1
March 9th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Info on configuration can be found here:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=577edb050fb70e16a38a0d7f3e6749df69dd9053

Thanks for any help

walkkenn1
March 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I tried to get a mic working by connecting a USB headset to the computer. Any program I opened to try to test the device (skype or sound recorder) would freeze up. When I leave the headset connected to the computer during restart, the computer would not boot up. I have not seen any problems with any other USB devices (memory stick, hard drive, etc.) which I used daily.

walkkenn1
March 17th, 2011, 10:15 PM
OK, I got it fixed again. My solution may not be as elegant as some, but, here goes ...

I opened System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and used the search tool using ALSA. Then I studied all of the installed packages. I found my ALSA driver package and used the Package Manager to "mark for complete removal". Then I removed it.

Then I restarted my computer. Then I used these commands to reinstall it:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r)

Then reboot.

Hey, it worked! :D

The only problem I seem to have now is getting the sound alert for new mail to work. I have checked in sound preferences and I've checked evolution to see if it's turned on.

But if this is the only problem, I'll survive.