PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Files missing in Windows

flitbee
February 9th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Recently I've started to have a problem:

When I download something on ubuntu, I sometimes copy it over to my mounted Windows drive. When I then reboot into Windows, the files aren't there. They're missing. (It used to work before - now it's strangely stopped). When I log back into Ubuntu, the files are gone again!

Am I doing anything wrong? :confused:

coffeecat
February 9th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Are you using Vista or windows 7? This comes up occasionally. I can't remember the precise details but this is something to do with Windows not liking writes to its own partition from outside. As a general rule, it is best not to write to a Windows C: partition. If you need to share data between Windows and Ubuntu a much better strategy is to have a separate data partition formatted NTFS.

P4man
February 9th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Make VERY sure you are not hibernating windows. Never mount a drive that has windows on it when its hibernated.

flitbee
February 10th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I'm using the latest update on Win XP. And I'm not writing to C:\. I can't access it since it's hibernated. I usually hibernate Windows and boot into Ubuntu (dual boot).

And @P4man I'm not writing to the Windows OS drive - I can't since it's hibernated. But do you mean i can't write to other Windows partitions if it's on Hibernate? Is that what you mean?

ramitwadhwa
July 31st, 2011, 10:51 AM
I have created 2 files and put them in a folder in ubuntu 11.04 64bit. The partition is ntfs and is shared b/w ubuntu and win7. The partition does not have win7 installed on it;
win7
ubuntu and swap
data partition
are three seprate partitions of a disk. when i logged in win7 the files and folder newly created were missing. then i logged back in ubuntu and they were missing from there to.