PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Need video file splitter

Silvernail
February 7th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I need recommendations for a video file splitter. Googling for 'video file splitter' returns 84,000 results, none of which I recognise from a know website.

Searching this website returns no results of 'video file splitter'.

What I have is 80 tapes from a Sony HI-8 CamCorder. I have extracted those to an AVI file and converted to a MP4. These tapes run from 48 mins. to an hour and 48. They are lessons from a fly tying class that my fishing club conducts. Some date back to '92. Each tape/file will consist of one subject, such caddis flies. There will be illustrations on tying several stages of the life cycle.

I would like to break each tape into chapters by life cycle.

In the repository there is 'Wavbreaker File Splitter', something similar for video would be ideal.

Any suggestion on where/what to look for? Your experience with such an animal?

TIA
Dave

ajgreeny
February 7th, 2011, 10:38 PM
What you need, by the sound of it is a simple video editor such as avidemux, or pitivi, the second of which is already in 10.10, I think. I have used avidemux, but not pitivi, so can not compare them, but I quite liked avidemux when I used it.

Jose Catre-Vandis
February 8th, 2011, 12:00 AM
ffmpeg -i input.file -ss 00:03:00 -t 300 -acodec copy -vcodec copy output.avi

This will make a copy of the section starting three minutes in (-ss..)and 5 minutes long (-t...)

Silvernail
February 8th, 2011, 01:21 AM
What you need, by the sound of it is a simple video editor such as avidemux, or pitivi, the second of which is already in 10.10, I think. I have used avidemux, but not pitivi, so can not compare them, but I quite liked avidemux when I used it.

File I'm currently working:
-rwxrwxrwx 1 dave dave 2881619746 2011-02-07 15:12 Bass_Bugs_by_Bill_Gammel.avi

I would like to have a time line like 'pitivi', but it crashes with the above file.

Avidemux give me an error when trying to load but does not tell me what is wrong.

I have "kino' converting it to DV, started 1:26 minutes ago.

So far have tried: LIVES, Open Video Editor, Project X, Videocut.
Thanks for your input. If you find anything else, let me know.

Silvernail
February 8th, 2011, 01:26 AM
ffmpeg -i input.file -ss 00:03:00 -t 300 -acodec copy -vcodec copy output.avi

This will make a copy of the section starting three minutes in (-ss..)and 5 minutes long (-t...)

Just saying without any facts, the problem may be the file is too large and I have to break it into workable size units.

Each chapter is differents lengths. I really need a time line I can scan and see when the tyer puts a new hook in the vice. That will be the chapter break.

Your code snippet just got stuck in my script file.
Thanks
DAve

Jose Catre-Vandis
February 9th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Then watch it with mplayer, use the OSD (Press O) and < and > to go forwards and backwards. Use . to move forward frame by frame (Sorry, no backwards frame by frame) Look up edl for setting cut points.

If your video is mpeg2, try ProjectX

Silvernail
February 11th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Then watch it with mplayer, use the OSD (Press O) and < and > to go forwards and backwards. Use . to move forward frame by frame (Sorry, no backwards frame by frame) Look up edl for setting cut points.

If your video is mpeg2, try ProjectX

Will try. Thanks.