PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Probably Stupid Question about Weather on Panel....

djpurity
February 7th, 2011, 07:59 PM
This is probably stupid, but on the Clock app on the top panel (by default), it shows the Day of the week and Date on the Panel, and when clicked on shows the calendar as well. By default it also shows the Weather for the area I guess set up under Locations, whichever is your default.

Then there is another app you can add to the panel called Weather, which looks just like the part of the Clock app that shows the weather, complete with temperature and little weather symbol. I don't see a major difference in the two.

I know you can click on the Preferences for the Clock app and deselect what you don't want to show, so by deselecting the weather, you can have the Weather app up on the panel as well and it not look silly and redundant.

Is there any reason why there would be this redundancy built in to the basic default Panel add-ons? Is one weather more accurate that the other, are they any different, or are they just options for someone who may want to break up the Clock app's displays to various panel positions or different panels, or something?

I know, this has got to be the stupidest question ever. But it just really bothered me that there would be an add-on Weather display when it already was showing up with the Clock. And they look the exact same and seem to show the same information.

Stupid? Redundant? Or am I missing something?

sydbat
February 7th, 2011, 08:30 PM
This is probably stupid, but on the Clock app on the top panel (by default), it shows the Day of the week and Date on the Panel, and when clicked on shows the calendar as well. By default it also shows the Weather for the area I guess set up under Locations, whichever is your default.

Then there is another app you can add to the panel called Weather, which looks just like the part of the Clock app that shows the weather, complete with temperature and little weather symbol. I don't see a major difference in the two.

I know you can click on the Preferences for the Clock app and deselect what you don't want to show, so by deselecting the weather, you can have the Weather app up on the panel as well and it not look silly and redundant.

Is there any reason why there would be this redundancy built in to the basic default Panel add-ons? Is one weather more accurate that the other, are they any different, or are they just options for someone who may want to break up the Clock app's displays to various panel positions or different panels, or something?

I know, this has got to be the stupidest question ever. But it just really bothered me that there would be an add-on Weather display when it already was showing up with the Clock. And they look the exact same and seem to show the same information.

Stupid? Redundant? Or am I missing something?Not a stupid question.

Answer - Mostly the part I highlighted.

I believe, however, that the panel app has more info associated with it (when hovered over / clicked on) than the 'clock' app. I think they both get their weather info from the same source.

Krytarik
February 8th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Actually, I asked me exactly the same question a while ago.:-)

The only real difference -in terms of info- is, that the standalone applet has an option to pull a radar (or whatever else) picture.

But I like the integration, the look and the ability of the "clock-weather" option to set more than one location over that somewhat hidden extra bit of info.