PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Re purposing 8-year old PC, recommendations?

ShadowPuppet
February 7th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Re purposing 8-year old PC, recommendations on what desktop environment.

Bit of a newbie to the scene, but I've been tinkering for a while with Ubuntu/linux.

The machine is an AMD AthlonXP 2700+ with 1.5GB of memory and an nvidia 6600GT. I have Ubuntu 10.04 on it right now with the standard gnome environment that came with it, but it is slow and terribly laggy.

I was looking at XFCE and LXDE. I know either would work, was looking for pros/cons, ect.

Thanks!

3Miro
February 7th, 2011, 03:49 PM
XFCE - fully featured, basically faster Gnome. Personally, it is my favorite.

LXDE - lighter than XFCE, but missing some features and still somewhat buggy at times. LXDE is the only environment that gives good performance on an external monitor with my crappy laptop.

I would try XFCE, if this doesn't work, try LXDE.

ajgreeny
February 7th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Re purposing 8-year old PC, recommendations on what desktop environment.

Bit of a newbie to the scene, but I've been tinkering for a while with Ubuntu/linux.

The machine is an AMD AthlonXP 2700+ with 1.5GB of memory and an nvidia 6600GT. I have Ubuntu 10.04 on it right now with the standard gnome environment that came with it, but it is slow and terribly laggy.

I was looking at XFCE and LXDE. I know either would work, was looking for pros/cons, ect.

Thanks!
Crikey! That's not what I would think of as very old, nor should it be too slow. I have 10.10 standard ubuntu on an Acer Travelmate with Celeron 2.6GHz and just 512 MB ram, and whilst not fast, it is still very usable, and a lot better than the XP it came with. have you checked that the startup applications are not robbing you of resources?

I am sure there must be ways of using ubuntu on that machine without it being too slow.

elementunkn
February 7th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I've installed Ubuntu on slower machines than yours and it was still very useable. Maybe try 10.04 or another distro just to see if it gets any better.

mcduck
February 7th, 2011, 07:46 PM
You call that slow? :D

I have 10.10 running on a 450MHz K6-2 with 128MB of RAM. And that's completely usable, although browsing the web pretty much requires using adblock and not bothering to even try to install Flash. :D

Anyway,XFCE is only a bit lighter than Gnome is, and you can pretty much make the difference negligible with a few gconf tweaks in Gnome. So if you feel Gnome is to slow for you, you probably want something much lighter.

I'd personally recommend just using a minimal install of Ubuntu, an Openbox as the window manager. Although if you don't feel like hand-configuring your setup and want something easier, perhaps a minimal install+LXDE would do the trick (LXDE is pretty much Openbox + some desktop environment-style stuff like session manager, panel and graphical configuration tools). Or you could try CrunchBang (http://crunchbanglinux.org/), which would give you a decent Openbox configuration out-of-the-box... ;)

ShadowPuppet
February 8th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Forgot to mention that it is running 10.04.

It was my main machine all the way up until the summer of 08, so its got some senemental value, and I wouldn't call it "slow," it's just running slow.

There aren't really any processes hogging up too many resources, but the CPU is pegged at nearly 100% with just having a web browser open (no flash heavy sites, Adblock already in use), or just other, not-intensive, programs open.

I know that a clean reinstall is probably a knee-jerk long-time Windows-user kind of thing, but I'll do some more poking around after classes/work today.

Thanks!

cascade9
February 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Anyway,XFCE is only a bit lighter than Gnome is, and you can pretty much make the difference negligible with a few gconf tweaks in Gnome. So if you feel Gnome is to slow for you, you probably want something much lighter.

Isnt ubuntu @ stock settings a lot 'heavier' than even gnome-core on a minimal install?

I'd personally recommend just using a minimal install of Ubuntu, an Openbox as the window manager. Although if you don't feel like hand-configuring your setup and want something easier, perhaps a minimal install+LXDE would do the trick (LXDE is pretty much Openbox + some desktop environment-style stuff like session manager, panel and graphical configuration tools). Or you could try CrunchBang (http://crunchbanglinux.org/), which would give you a decent Openbox configuration out-of-the-box... ;)

Openbox on 1.5GB, 6600GT, 2700+? Sure, if you like openbox. I dont like it much myself.

I run Xfce4 on systems with similar spec to that, and installing lxde (or openbox) doesnt seem to make the system any more snappy than with Xfce4.

@ ShadowPuppet- If you dont want to spend time cleaning out uneeded prorams, etc from ubuntu, and you dont want to haev to reinstall, then I'd try xfce4 and/or lxde (or even openbox LOL). Easier than reinstalling, and you can get a feel for xfce/lxde.

DMGrier
February 8th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I would check how you have it set up cause Ubuntu 32 bit Os should run just fine on that, you do have 32 bit installed, not 64 bit right?

snowpine
February 8th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Have you installed the correct drivers for your Nvidia card?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

cascade9
February 8th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I would check how you have it set up cause Ubuntu 32 bit Os should run just fine on that, you do have 32 bit installed, not 64 bit right?

64bit/32bit doesnt make that much difference. If anything 64bit would be slightly faster, though it might use a bit more RAM (with 1.5GB thats not really an issue)

Not that ShadowPuppet can run 64bit anyway, AthlonXPs are 32bit only.

ajgreeny
February 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Forgot to mention that it is running 10.04.

It was my main machine all the way up until the summer of 08, so its got some senemental value, and I wouldn't call it "slow," it's just running slow.

There aren't really any processes hogging up too many resources, but the CPU is pegged at nearly 100% with just having a web browser open (no flash heavy sites, Adblock already in use), or just other, not-intensive, programs open.

I know that a clean reinstall is probably a knee-jerk long-time Windows-user kind of thing, but I'll do some more poking around after classes/work today.

Thanks!
If the cpu is running at close to 100% with just a web browser open, there is definitely something going wrong somewhere.

Open up
top in terminal, hit upper case P, and see what is using all your cpu.