PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome-panel missing

wwbdd
February 7th, 2011, 12:13 AM
My gnome panel seems to have gone missing. I found on several sources online that if worse comes to worse, then you can just delete everything and start anew, but even after doing that, my gnome panel is missing. I tried:

rm -rf .gconf* .gnome*

from a remote ssh session (so not while I was in a gnome session). Then I logged into gnome, and my panel is still missing. I can start it by opening up a terminal and running:

gnome-panel

but I'd like for it to start up normally. Is there a way I can reset my entire gnome environment to be just as it was when I installed everything?

Krytarik
February 7th, 2011, 01:19 AM
but I'd like for it to start up normally. Is there a way I can reset my entire gnome environment to be just as it was when I installed everything?
You would have done it with the first mentioned commands (OMG, is this harsh! LOL), if executed properly.

However, do this (while logged in normally):
- enter "gconf-editor" in a terminal
- browse to "/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/panel"
- set it to "gnome-panel"

wwbdd
February 7th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I got things working in a rather hackish way by adding a startup application for gnome-panel. I'm still open to suggestions on how to get things working properly though, if for no other reason than sheer curiosity.

Krytarik
February 7th, 2011, 02:56 AM
What is the entry for this then, in gconf-editor?: /desktop/gnome/session/required_components_list .

The default is a list with entries of the type "string" with "windowmanager", "panel" and "filemanager" in it.

wwbdd
February 9th, 2011, 07:56 AM
filemanager = nautilus
panel = gnome-panel
windowmanager = gnome-wm

This is rather baffling.

Krytarik
February 9th, 2011, 03:21 PM
filemanager = nautilus
panel = gnome-panel
windowmanager = gnome-wm

This is rather baffling.
Yeah, but did you also check this?:

/desktop/gnome/session/required_components_list .

The default is a list with entries of the type "string" with "windowmanager", "panel" and "filemanager" in it.

wwbdd
February 9th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Yea, that's alright too. I guess I'll just have to stick with calling gnome-panel with an autostart script. Thanks for your help.

Krytarik
February 9th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Yea, that's alright too. I guess I'll just have to stick with calling gnome-panel with an autostart script. Thanks for your help.
Ok then. Calling it with an startup launcher isn't really different from the "normal" way.