PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD library video format questions

sprocket10
February 5th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hi all!

Over the years I've accumulated a pile of DVDs that I'd like to backup and be able to watch on my computer on demand. I'm interested in learning the process to convert my DVDs to a digital format. I dual-boot Windows 7 Professional and Ubuntu 10.04 (don't plan on upgrading 'til 12.04) with a shared data partition. I use a program in windows called AnyDVD to get ISOs of the DVDs or Bluray Disks I have (though I don't have any BDs yet). It's really nice because it can remove all Prohibited User Options and other things, so that the end result is a file of JUST the movie, which begins playing immediately. I want to be able to play the video files from EITHER OS smoothly.

Some preliminary internet searching has informed me that H.264 is probably the format I want to use. I would like to keep the quality the same as DVD (no losses), if possible in case I need to burn a disk sometime in the future. I definitely want to use a video format that will not become obsolete and impossible to play years later, and certainly not a closed, proprietary format that may become inaccessible in the future. If this conversion process goes well, I'd eventually like to setup a home theatre computer to provide tv and instant movie playing! :popcorn:

Question Time!
- Do you agree that H.264 is the way to go?
- What conversion program should I use? Handbrake?

mn_voyageur
April 7th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Bump. If someone answers this question, they will also answer mine.

MarkN

SeijiSensei
April 7th, 2011, 04:45 AM
yes
yes

andrew.46
April 7th, 2011, 10:31 PM
You will also need to consider the sound. I personally use aac produced by NeroAacEnc, nice sound at a reasonable file size.

WannabeFantasma
April 7th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Backed up all my dvd's with Handbrake Works great!
(well doing it for second time since I figured out soft subtitles in handbrake)

Vids play great on both Windows Vista and Ubuntu 10.04.