PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia drivers, dual screen, colour calibration and compiz.

MattVortex
February 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
After a few tries, I managed to install Ubuntu on my 3rd generation Macbook Pro (MacbookPro3,1). I installed the proprietary drivers for the Nvidia graphics card and got all the other features working with the information from this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro3-1/Maverick) page.

However, I am having various problems getting the screens working as I would like. When my laptop is at my desk, it is connected to an external 24-inch monitor via DVI, however I regularly disconnect this screen when I go to uni etc.

Ideally I would like Ubuntu to do the following (all of which I can do in Windows and Mac, or the equivalent thereof):

Auto-detect when the external monitor is plugged in, set that monitor as the primary screen (with gnome panel etc). And auto-detect when it is unplugged and set the laptop screen as primary.
Support moving windows between both screens
Compiz on both screens
Separate colour calibration on each screen

So far, I have only been able to get a subset of these working at once. I got 2 working alone, without any compiz and the colour calibration only worked on the laptop screen. I got 3 and 4 working without being able to move windows between screens. I have not been able to get 1 working at all - when I disconnect the monitor, I have to tell the nvidia control panel it is gone.

Is there any way to get all four of these things working? I would be willing to sacrifice 3 if 1, 2, and 4 were all working.