PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freeze & Flashing on Install

alfagius
January 28th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Hello,

I have this weird problem which I can't find any posts about, so I thought I'd ask here.

I am trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 on a rather slow machine (400Mhz, 128MB RAM). Obviously I only need command line, and I don't need any GUI, as I only need it to run only one application.

I have chosen ubuntu, because it's the only fairly solid Debian based distro that support things such as apt-get, and has glibc above 2.8.

So CD boots up (i tried both minimal, and full CD, and I choose a non graphical install.

Instantly, everything hangs up, and a thin line at the bottom of the screen shows up with a multitude of colours. Then after about 10 seconds, screen goes blank for a second or two, then starts flashing like crazy with multicoloured vertical bars. I would have blamed the machine's VGA, but Debian Lenny, PuppyLinux and Slitaz boot fine.

Debian Squeeze RC2 is showing the same problem. I would install Debian Lenny, but it has glibc 2.7, and the the only application that I need to run, demands 2.8+.

Thanks a lot for your help.

alfagius
January 28th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Hmmmm going to have a try with 8.04