PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 upgrade needs more space

pjstock
January 27th, 2011, 04:48 PM
forgive me for raising a common problem again, but I cannot find a fix in the other threads.
I am trying to catch up on upgrades. Step 1 is to get up to 9.10 from 9.04
Doing so however I am being told I don't have enough disk space
I present have my 35-odd GB HDD partitioned:
6GB for Ubuntu
28 for Data
and 1. or so for swap

evidently I underestimated my Ubuntu partition.

what can I do now?

I have run Computer Janitor (is that the application that results from Sudo apt-get clean? I did that but couldn't figure out how to "clean"?)

I have Gparted installed but I don't see how to use the Move/Resize option.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thanks

Peter

Kirboosy
January 27th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I have run Computer Janitor (is that the application that results from Sudo apt-get clean? I did that but couldn't figure out how to "clean"?)

sudo apt-get clean allSince you have the data on a different partition wouldn't it be easier to just fresh install Ubuntu to the OS partition?

pjstock
January 27th, 2011, 11:48 PM
a fresh install of the latest (10.10?) might make best sense.
but will I not just then find myself a little further ahead but facing the same problem the next time I want to upgrade - wanting / needing to increase the OS partition?

or will I be able to modify that partition size during the fresh install (though increasing the OS partition would mean decreasing the data partition and might that put the data at risk?)

Kirboosy
January 28th, 2011, 04:21 PM
It in theory will jeopardize your data by resizing it with data on it. Some people have success resizing it but other people have horror stories. I have never resized. If you do resize it you might want to back it up. Just in case.

Yes, the next time you go to upgrade you might run into the same problem. I personally always fresh install Ubuntu when it comes time to upgrade but that's just me. I find it runs better with a fresh install. Also thats one big reason why I have two separate partitions for Ubuntu. So I can easily reinstall the OS without backing anything up. However, I gave my OS 10 Gb. just so it has some breathing room. :)

pjstock
January 30th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Hello again.
OK, now I need a little help.
I opted for a fresh 10.10 install from CD.
I did my best to overwrite 9.04 with 10.10 in the 7Gb first partition of the 40Gb HDD

but, when I get to the end of the process and reboot, I get a message:
"the disk drive for / is not ready yet or not yet present"

Evidently, I made a misstep along the way, presumably at the partitioning step.

Early in the re-installation, when prompted, and given the choice of a) installing alongside existing OS, b) using the entire drive or c) specifying the partition manually (advanced), I took (C) and tried to aim it at the 7GB ext4 which housed the previous install of 9.04

(sorry if my terminology is a bit approximate at this point. I didn't take notes during the process and am past these points now.)

what should I have But I was not clear what I needed to do at this point when it required a "Mount Point"
"/boot" failed and "/home" failed.
"/" was the only choice that allowed me

What should I have specified to make this reinstall work? (and please excuse my ingnorance. I know I should dig in an understand all there is to know about mounting drives etc. But I've never understood this in the past 5 years and don't expect it will sink in now. I would just like to get a clean re-install of 10.10 working.)

Peter

Hello again.
OK, now I need a little help.
I opted for a fresh 10.10 install from CD.
I did my best to overwrite 9.04 with 10.10 in the 7Gb first partition of the 40Gb HDD

but, when I get to the end of the process and reboot, I get a message:
"the disk drive for / is not ready yet or not yet present"

Evidently, I made a misstep along the way, presumably at the partitioning step.

Early in the re-installation, when prompted, and given the choice of a) installing alongside existing OS, b) using the entire drive or c) specifying the partition manually (advanced), I took (C) and tried to aim it at the 7GB ext4 which housed the previous install of 9.04

(sorry if my terminology is a bit approximate at this point. I didn't take notes during the process and am past these points now.)

what should I have But I was not clear what I needed to do at this point when it required a "Mount Point"
"/boot" failed and "/home" failed.
"/" was the only choice that allowed me

What should I have specified to make this reinstall work? (and please excuse my ingnorance. I know I should dig in an understand all there is to know about mounting drives etc. But I've never understood this in the past 5 years and don't expect it will sink in now. I would just like to get a clean re-install of 10.10 working.)

Peter

Kirboosy
January 31st, 2011, 03:14 PM
The first available space should be for / (the root of Ubuntu's system), the next partition for /home (your data), then whatever else you want before the last partition for your swap.