PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very basic- reformatting entire drive

oechsner1
January 26th, 2011, 04:38 AM
I am attempting to reformat my entire internal 160GB drive and have used the following command: dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

It has been formatting since last Thursday. I then got impulsive and "deleted" the partition or so I think I did. Now when attempting to format the partition again using the directions in https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/hardware/C/disks.html I am unable to start gparted and get the message:
E: unable to locate package gparted
from my USB flash drive

Suggestions?

srs5694
January 26th, 2011, 04:53 AM
First, your "reformatting" of the drive was in fact randomizing the entire disk's contents. This takes a long time because random number generation is not instantaneous, so the computer was actually doing a lot of work for every byte written to the disk. If you wanted to completely blank the disk for security reasons, using /dev/zero rather than /dev/urandom would have worked about as well and be a lot faster (one could debate the merits of one vs. the other, but unless you're the NSA, CIA, or whatever, the difference in security is likely to be 0).

Second, by blanking the entire disk (/dev/sda) vs. a partition (/dev/sda1 or whatever), you also eliminated the partition table, so you have no more partitions on the disk.

Third, if you just wanted to delete your partitions in order to re-install your OS fresh, simply using GParted or some other partitioning tool from the start would have been sufficient; there's no need to blank the disk first.

So, getting to your current situation, if you're using an Ubuntu installation on your USB flash drive, you should be able to install GParted by typing "sudo apt-get install gparted". Alternatively, you could try an Ubuntu install CD/DVD; just tell it you want to try Ubuntu to boot into the "live CD" mode rather than install. I'm not sure offhand precisely what partitioning software is available directly off the disc, but there's got to be something you can use. If you plan to install Ubuntu fresh, you should be able to just boot it straight into its installation mode.

oechsner1
January 26th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Whether booting from the flash drive or CD, I continue to get the same message when trying to run gparted:
E: unable to locate package gparted

I want to format the drive for NTFS. Following these directions:

Partitioning a device

You can use GNOME Partition Editor to partition storage devices. Install the gparted package (see Add Applications (https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/add-applications/C/)) and then press System → Administration → Gnome Partition Editor to start the partition editor.
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/images/admon/caution.png
Be careful when altering disk partitions, as it is possible to lose your data if you delete or change the wrong partition.

Freeing space for a new partition

To create a new partition inside an already partitioned device, you must first resize an existing partition. If you already have free space, skip to the section called “Creating a new partition” (https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/hardware/C/disks.html#creating-new-partition); otherwise, follow the instructions below:

Press System → Administration → Gnome Partition Editor.
Select the device to partition from the drop-down list at the top-right of the main window.
A list of partitions will appear. Select the desired partition and choose Partition → Unmount.
To resize the partition choose Resize/Move. The dialog Resize/Move will be shown. You can use the Free Space Following (MiB) box to choose how much space to free after this partition, or Free Space Preceding (MiB) to free space before this partition. Alternatively you can use the slider to adjust the partition size.
To apply the changes, click Resize/Move.

Gnome Partition Editor is not available?

ruegore
January 26th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Is your sources list messed up?

You can use gparted from an Ubuntu Live CD.

HermanAB
January 26th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Howdy,

fdisk should be installed by default, ditto mkfs.ntfs.

So, read the man pages of fdisk and mkfs, then do something like this:

$ sudo fdisk /dev/sdb
n
p
w

and:
$ sudo mkfs.ntfs -Q -q -L NTFSDISK /dev/sdb1

lavinog
January 26th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Which version of ubuntu are you booting with?
What is your intention of using NTFS? Why not use windows to create this partition?