PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] TCP/IP question

brivy
January 22nd, 2011, 01:14 AM
I want to ask the community if Ubuntu's implementation of the TCP/IP stack is more, or less, efficient when compared to Microsoft's implementation? I have found when working with XP, Vista, and to a lesser degree, 7, that the stack requires an enormous amount of tweaking to get decent throughput with an acceptable amount of packet loss. I have never been able to figure out if this has been poor engineering on Microsoft's part, or just conservatism to the point of ineptitude. I have searched through the forums for a guide that would assist me in tuning Ubuntu but haven't found anything. If someone could point me in the right direction with this it would be greatly appreciated.

CharlesA
January 22nd, 2011, 01:16 AM
TCP/IP is TCP/IP.

I haven't noticed any difference between Windows and Linux in that regard.

SeijiSensei
January 22nd, 2011, 08:07 PM
The stack in recent Windows implementations has some built-in limits on the number of multiple connections (http://serverfault.com/questions/51597/how-to-fix-tcp-ip-has-reached-the-security-limit-event-message) that can exist at one time. These were supposedly added to protect against problems from malware. They also pose a problem for BitTorrent users since BT routinely sets up dozens of connections to peers.

There's nothing like this in the Linux networking stack that I know of.

brivy
January 22nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Thank you for your replies. I thought that might be the case considering the nature of Linux and the Linux community. It is always such a nightmare when dealing with Windows.