PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What is cifs

Ex-windows
January 21st, 2011, 06:37 AM
I just went into "places"> "network">"mylaptop" and there is now a file there called "qtop"....When I open it, it appears to be the same as my home folder except that there is 1 subfolder that is not named correctly. It should be called Main folder but it 1R4PPO-D, all the contents within are the same as the Main folder. In properties it says it is cifs. What is it and how did I catch it and most importantly is there a cure, or at least treatment options lol lol Thanks in advance Only thing I have done is updates today and something for the samba/apache for Personal file sharing. Thanx in advance

1clue
January 21st, 2011, 06:47 AM
CIFS is common internet file system. It's the most recent version of Windows file sharing.

Evidently you've shared your home folder and you're browsing back through the network to see your home files again.

Ex-windows
January 21st, 2011, 06:56 AM
Ty 4 the quik response. Yes I did share the home folder, But i dont know if I follow you on
"you're browsing back through the network to see your home files again."
I had just got on the laptop and was going to try to connect to another comp when I saw the folder. This file was not there b4 and home folder was shared quite some time ago. Am I not understanding or ??

1clue
January 21st, 2011, 07:08 AM
Places/Network means you're going through the network interface. Mylaptop is your laptop. qtop is a share on your laptop. 1R4PPO-D must be a serial number or model number of your network adapter maybe?

Sorry for being blurry about this, I am not currently running an Ubuntu desktop. I'm on Gentoo and sort of hanging out here because I can help more people here. If that makes sense? So I can't just take a look at what my system is doing really. I'm going off my memory on this one.

Ex-windows
January 21st, 2011, 07:18 AM
Well we all appreciate folks like you hangin out tryin to help thats what I love about the linux community. Anyway I think I got what youre saying so now I goota ask Is it contagious and what can I do or do I need to do anythhing? Thanks again for the help

Ex-windows
January 21st, 2011, 07:35 AM
WOW, apparently q top stands for the q in compaq (laptop) hence q top lmao Roomate just remembered she named it. It just goes to show that too many amatuers spoil the network...Thanks so much 4 the help. What ever happened to the Thank you button?????

1clue
January 21st, 2011, 07:41 AM
Sorry about the context switch, it's just on this issue I can't really say what you're going through. Normally most things are essentially identical.

First thing I would say is don't share it if you don't need to share it.

Second thing, make sure all your passwords are strong. Don't have any of the obvious passwords, like 123456 or qwerty or any other up-the-keyboard-row or down-the-keyboard-row combination, and don't use your name or your kid's name or your street name blah blah blah. If your computer complains about how easy your password is to crack, then find something better. Do this even if you don't keep your share.

Make sure your router blocks traffic coming in. The only traffic coming in should be a response to something that started on your network. If you use wireless, then make it the highest security protocol shared by all your hardware. And put a password on that too.