PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] SMB password gets reset on reboot

rage_311
January 21st, 2011, 01:57 AM
Hey,

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this issue.

I'm using Ubuntu server 10.04 32-bit and I have smbd installed. Somehow, four users were added to smbpasswd in the first place -- not really sure how that happened. That's not the problem, just some information. I really only need to use one user, this user is one of the users that were already added to smbpasswd when I looked at it (via pdbedit -w -L). This user name is also a user in the passwd file, but I want a different password for samba. Somehow, after I change it, the password for that user gets reset after a reboot. It doesn't get reset to the passwd password that's set for that user -- I'm not sure what it gets set to, but it's different than what I just changed it to before the reboot. This makes it so that I can no longer access my protected shares. I even added
unix password sync = no in the [global] section of the smb.conf file just to make sure. Does anybody have any idea what's going on? I've looked around for info/solutions with no luck. Thanks in advance for any help!

rage_311
January 21st, 2011, 09:55 PM
Any help? I'm stumped here.

Maybe I should add that I migrated my setup from a 32-bit Desktop version of Ubuntu 10.04 and that was working just fine... same samba configs, unix passwd file, etc. Any ideas of something else I could try?

Morbius1
January 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
You are not alone. What appears to be happening is that the samba password for userX is being reset to the local server login password for userX at each boot. I can't access the remote share from a client using the smbpasswd but I can using the server login password for userX.

You've got two options:

[1] Don't create a server login password for userX or create a new user for userX strictly for samba uses. For example if my server username = morbius and I want to access the server from a remote machine I would create a new user called morbiusadmin that has no local server login password:

sudo useradd -s /bin/true morbiusadminThen create a samba password:

sudo smbpasswd -a morbiusadminWithout a local login password database to sync with the samba password will not change.

[2] Remove a package that previous versions of Ubuntu didn't have. The process I used was as follows:

Remove the package:

sudo apt-get remove libpam-smbpassReset the samba password back to what is should be:

sudo smbpasswd -a morbiusReboot

There's probably some service that needs to be restarted for this to take affect eliminating the need to reboot but I can't find it. Restarting smbd doesn't appear to be enough so I just rebooted.

The libpam-smbpass package and it's affect can be found in the bug report on this issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/566560

Apparently it's not considered a bug but a feature and is working as designed. When I calm down a little bit and am not as angry I will try to think of a single situation where this would be a desired "feature".

rage_311
January 23rd, 2011, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm going to give option #2 a go tonight and see if that does it. It's definitely a "feature" that I am not a fan of...

[EDIT] That worked perfectly! All is working once again. Thanks.