PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is changing the icon for a USB device safe?

LinuxFox
January 20th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Sorry if my question seems dumb, but I just want to know. I'm using an old Coby digital audio player with Ubuntu and the icon shows up as a USB drive since it acts like a USB flash drive (it's pretty much that with buttons).

I want to change it so it has a music player icon. I know how to change the icons, but would be safe to do on a USB device? Would it damage the player since it's not the default icon. Also, is it ok to save the icon to the player itself?

Please answer and thanks.

[Snc]
January 20th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Sorry if my question seems dumb, but I just want to know. I'm using an old Coby digital audio player with Ubuntu and the icon shows up as a USB drive since it acts like a USB flash drive (it's pretty much that with buttons).

I want to change it so it has a music player icon. I know how to change the icons, but would be safe to do on a USB device? Would it damage the player since it's not the default icon. Also, is it ok to save the icon to the player itself

i have changed all my Micro SD/Micro drive/all the other 7 types, of exchangeable media drive's icons, i allso use a Blackberry and changed its device icon, so that i can see which one i use and it only changes the icon in nautilus - for better recognition, so it is completely safe

[Snc]
January 20th, 2011, 07:32 PM

I want to change it so it has a music player icon. I know how to change the icons, but would be safe to do on a USB device? Would it damage the player since it's not the default icon. Also, is it ok to save the icon to the player itself?

perfectly safe, here you can see my modifications of all the removable drives (memory cards)

LinuxFox
January 20th, 2011, 07:43 PM
;10379663']i have changed all my Micro SD/Micro drive/all the other 7 types, of exchangeable media drive's icons, i allso use a Blackberry and changed its device icon, so that i can see which one i use and it only changes the icon in nautilus - for better recognition, so it is completely safeThanks for the answer, since you say it's safe, then I'll go ahead and do it. It will be nice seeing a music player pop up, instead of a flash drive. :)

shimoda
March 5th, 2011, 10:14 AM
But how do you change the little icons of left panel in nautilus??