PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 downloads as iso (Big Issue)

sillywindows
January 20th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hi All,

Well Ubuntu 10.10 desktop edition looks great and I am way over the plain old xp, plus Ubuntu is safer and sexier. I have downloaded 10.10 desktop and it saves as a .iso, then when I open it it runs my cd burner. I have it saved on a CD and my portable hard drive. I can not run the .iso or use the wubi. I have extracted the .iso and tried running the usb creator program but it does not work. Does anyone have a solution other than buying the ubuntu cd?

Thanks ;)

bikodog
January 20th, 2011, 11:35 AM
have you burned the iso image to a CD?

You need to burn it as an image, not just an iso file on the disk.

spuzzdawg
January 20th, 2011, 11:37 AM
An ISO file is an image of a CD. It runs your CD burner software because you are supposed to burn it to CD. I don't see why you would need to purchase the Ubuntu CD when you have already downloaded the CD.

The standard Ubuntu installation procedure is to download the file as an ISO and burn it to disc. You then boot off the CD and follow the prompts to install Ubuntu to the HDD.

MarvinZurcher
January 20th, 2011, 11:41 AM
You will need an ISO burning software program, Windows XP will not burn an ISO.

theozzlives
January 20th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Nero is a good software. You can go here (http://www.nero.com) and download a free trial of the software to burn your image. As said before, be sure you "burn image to CD" NOT the file.

sillywindows
January 20th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Ahh, I see :) I shall run it in the morning. Thank you all, I shall inform you once I have run the disc.

Thanks ;)

P.S.
I used Roxio to burn the CD