PDA

View Full Version : help me with this tar command

tisungho
January 19th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hi,

I have a lot of BIG tarball files in a directory, say, a.tar.gz, b.tar.gz, c.tar.gz ... in /home/myuser/tarball directory
I want to untar ONLY the files with .c extention to /home/myuser/untar. I use this command:

find /home/myuser/tarball -type f -name *.tar.gz -exec tar -zxvf '{}' -C /home/myuser/untar *.c \;

The problem is that I get error when a tarball file doesn't contain any .c file.

Could you please help me work this out?

Thanks!

Arndt
January 19th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Hi,

I have a lot of BIG tarball files in a directory, say, a.tar.gz, b.tar.gz, c.tar.gz ... in /home/myuser/tarball directory
I want to untar ONLY the files with .c extention to /home/myuser/untar. I use this command:

find /home/myuser/tarball -type f -name *.tar.gz -exec tar -zxvf '{}' -C /home/myuser/untar *.c \;

The problem is that I get error when a tarball file doesn't contain any .c file.

Could you please help me work this out?

Thanks!

I suggest you list the files first and pick out the names ending in .c, then extract those.

Having "*.c" like you do isn't likely to do the right thing anyway, since it matches what is in your current directory.

psusi
January 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM
The shell expands *.c to all .c files in the current directory, instead of passing '*.c' to tar. You need to put single quotes around it to stop that.